Devastatingly sad video: "The End of The Dream" - Page 18 - SailNet Community
 254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 187 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

Dock
Re: Devastatingly sad video: "The End of The Dream"

I deleted a few posts because it's went a bit off topic.

Sorry.

I can't really read them too carefully as I am in a truck.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 187 Old 03-06-2019
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I deleted a few posts because it's went a bit off topic.

Sorry.

I can't really read them too carefully as I am in a truck.

Mark
Off Topic? On Sailnet?

Noooooooooooooo....surely not.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #173 of 187 Old 05-05-2019

Looks to me like she does and well. My wife is 5í2Ē and 125lbs. She could but sheís an old fashioned New Englander. Maybe when we get to clear waters.

post #174 of 187 Old 05-05-2019
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
At 64, my wife could pull it off
Apparently 64 is the new 34.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #175 of 187 Old 05-05-2019

I've watched every episode. More fun than a train wreck. So totally different than anything I've experienced and love it. She appears to have a complete machine shop and everything else down below. The boat is a disaster, both inside and out. A couple other "cruising" vlogs I love include Project Atticus, almost six years and several hundred miles of cruising and Sail Life, five years in boat rebuilding to go sailing, which he has never done. While I do prefer the tiny bikinis of La Vagabonde or Sailing Uma, it just goes to show I have diversity. I particularly like that Sailnet's password requirement is 10 or more characters, but does not require sanskrit.
MarkofSeaLife and ThereYouAre like this.
post #176 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmeyer View Post
.....Sail Life, five years in boat rebuilding to go sailing, which he has never done. .....
I recall he made an attempt to be crew for an Atlantic crossing once. He got so seasick on the first hop (coastal or Azors or some intermediate stop) that he jumped ship. He seems like a really nice guy, but Iím not sure what heís doing. Could the boat he bought really need all that heís doing? He redesigns and rebuilds absolutely everything. In fact, this is his second sailboat rebuild and I recall him mentioning he rebuilt his house too. Even DIY it has to be at an extreme loss in net value.

If he gets joy from the rebuild alone, that works. Some do. I watch his vids occasionally and do wonder if heís doing things correctly, from time to time. DIY is part of cruising and we all do things that donít comply with an obscure standard we donít even know exists. Sometimes I wonder if his vids encourage others to follow his methods, which is what gets me wondering if they are always correct.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #177 of 187 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

Dock

Quote:
I particularly like that Sailnet's password requirement is 10 or more characters, but does not require sanskrit.
Sanskrit! Great idea!! I shall put it up to the Admins ASAP!

I just copy and paste the password in... crazy.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #178 of 187 Old 05-06-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I recall he made an attempt to be crew for an Atlantic crossing once. He got so seasick on the first hop (coastal or Azors or some intermediate stop) that he jumped ship. He seems like a really nice guy, but Iím not sure what heís doing. Could the boat he bought really need all that heís doing? He redesigns and rebuilds absolutely everything. In fact, this is his second sailboat rebuild and I recall him mentioning he rebuilt his house too. Even DIY it has to be at an extreme loss in net value.

If he gets joy from the rebuild alone, that works. Some do. I watch his vids occasionally and do wonder if heís doing things correctly, from time to time. DIY is part of cruising and we all do things that donít comply with an obscure standard we donít even know exists. Sometimes I wonder if his vids encourage others to follow his methods, which is what gets me wondering if they are always correct.
I did not know about the Atlantic crossing attempt...

Mads is an interesting character. he certainly seems to be the type to love working on a boat for the sheer enjoyment of it, and I can get that to a point. The whole rudder project he is doing loses me a little bit, he certainly seems to be going about it the very long way, and I am losing a bit of interest as that project goes on and on. I've been watching him like clockwork every Sunday evening for going on two years now, as we are both doing many of the same things, just not at the same time..now if he will ever finish remains to be seen, as he enjoys working on projects A LOT.
chall03 and overthehorizon like this.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #179 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

I remember his Atlantic problem, but he did sail his boat across the English Channel. What each of the VLOGs demonstrate to me is there is not one right way to enjoy sailing. I agree with the comment that what they show may not be right. I remember La Vagabonde flew their asymmetrical spinnaker upside down the first season. The longish password is easy for me. I just combined my social security number and my bank account number where I keep all my retirement money.
chall03 and mbianka like this.
post #180 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
I've watched every episode. More fun than a train wreck. So totally different than anything I've experienced and love it. She appears to have a complete machine shop and everything else down below. The boat is a disaster, both inside and out. A couple other "cruising" vlogs I love include Project Atticus, almost six years and several hundred miles of cruising and Sail Life, five years in boat rebuilding to go sailing, which he has never done. While I do prefer the tiny bikinis of La Vagabonde or Sailing Uma, it just goes to show I have diversity. I particularly like that Sailnet's password requirement is 10 or more characters, but does not require sanskrit.
I don't think I've seen every episode, but I've seen most of the "Athena" saga, including the episodes where he sailed the boat from Scotland (where he bought it) to Denmark. IIRC, he got plenty seasick then too.

Like some of you have commented, I watch him every week like clockwork. Also, as some of you have hinted, I sometimes get the feeling that this refit will never end. Mads clearly loves working on the boat, learning new things and trying new techniques. And I have learned from him, and been inspired to tackle a few long-postponed projects on my own boat.

Frankly, I don't care if the refit ever ends; I'm enjoying the videos and learning too much to worry about if Mads and Eva ever set sail. According to his own schedule, I think Mads doesn't expect to move aboard Athena until after next summer anyway, so there's still a long way to go, even under the best of circumstances.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy the cheerful perfectionism, corny jokes, and ever-expanding project list.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in