Devastatingly sad video: "The End of The Dream" - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

Re: Devastatingly sad video: "The End of The Dream"

I don't know how Mads can do all that boat work, constantly change camera angles, do all the video editing and the incredible amount of research he does to complete a project. Whatever his day job is, certainly there is little free time. I am happy he does it though for the learning experience he shares. He has recently made me feel better about my 41 year old rudder which is of a similar construction to his. Keep at it Mads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

Dock

Another Mads fan here, I really admire his attitude and work ethic. He bought his Warrior without having it surveyed and it's definitely biting him in the ass. Nearly the entire first year's work on the boat has to be redone since he's tearing out the interior to fix the water logged ribs. His vlog is a great cautionary tale on buying a boat without a survey.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 187 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
I don't know how Mads can do all that boat work, constantly change camera angles, do all the video editing and the incredible amount of research he does to complete a project. Whatever his day job is, certainly there is little free time.
This^^^^

Mads has a full-time job (something to do with software, I think), but has said that he is getting closer to being able to do videos as his main source of income.

At the end of one of his videos, Mads included a bunch of outtakes, showing him flubbing the "Good morning, guys" intros a few times. It struck me then just how much time he must take setting up the cameras, adjusting the lighting, coming up with the corny jokes, producing the strange "special effects" he used to do a lot of (anyone else remember the dancing screws?), and editing. If he weren't recording, I'll bet he'd be done with the project by now.

Well, maybe not.

post #184 of 187 Old 05-07-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post

Mads has a full-time job (something to do with software, I think), but has said that he is getting closer to being able to do videos as his main source of income.

At the end of one of his videos, Mads included a bunch of outtakes, showing him flubbing the "Good morning, guys" intros a few times.
He is fun to watch...I have picked up quite a few things from him, and I find him entertaining. On a side note, one thing I have picked up from him is my now existent vocabulary of Danish cuss words...

An exerpt from a blog story on him seems to pretty much describe Mads: "Mads has been making his sailboats rugged and strong and beautiful, and the successes and screwups are there to be seen, as well as his response to good and bad days, which he faces with a very upbeat personality and a smile, so occasionally hearing him swear in English or Danish is jarring in a very funny way, like hearing Sally Field dropping an F-bomb kind of funny.
At any rate, if TV was this entertaining, I'd probably watch TV. What is most endearing is that he obviously values the comments, and a lot of people tune into his channel once a week to take part, and you tend to walk away impressed and happier than you start out. Pretty cool stuff"
ThereYouAre likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #185 of 187 Old 05-07-2019

I hadn't watched the La Vbagabonde videos in a long time. I was surprised to find they now have a baby. I sort of lost interest when they got the catamaran.

I was watching an episode of La vagabonde's sailing video in which Riley mentioned that their compass had been off kilter and was giving him erroneous readings. He showed something they had stored in a fishing bag that was throwing the compass off. He briefly showed it but I couldn't tell what it was. It was a black cylindrical object, some piece of electronic equipment, about the size of a Pringles can, but I didn't catch what it was. One of their patrons who was guest sailing with them tipped him off to the problem, and said that he had experienced the same problem on his boat.
Does anybody know what it was?
post #186 of 187 Old 05-08-2019

If you could note the episode number/name and what time to find it on the episode, I'm sure several would check it out.

I'm fairly bored by SLV. I did watch an episode or two, when their baby was born. Have to be happy for them. However, I worry that the baby is now being exploited for clicks and patreon donations and it would make me cringe to watch that.

I think it's terrific that they are able to continue to cruise with their baby. Personally, I feel the baby should make brief cameo appearances only, or be very tangential to the scene. So far, for this and one other I've seen with a baby aboard, they contain full-on home baby recordings. Baby talk and all. While they are probably just proud parents, I still think the child could grow up resenting all the exposure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #187 of 187 Old 05-08-2019

Ok, I had to go back and watch. It was episode 188, at 6:26, the last one before Elena goes back to Australia to have her baby.

It was a Bluetooth speaker they had sitting right by their compass sensor. One of their patreon/guests Eddie, mentioned that he had his compass go haywire when they stored a bag of fishing gear in the locker where the compass sensor was.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in