Don't Pee Over the Side, Use Your Head - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-11-2019 Thread Starter

Don't Pee Over the Side, Use Your Head

Thank you Andrew Burton, John and Amanda Neal, for your input with this video. While at sea, peeing over the side is not the best thing to be doing.
oysterman23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-11-2019

Re: Don't Pee Over the Side, Use Your Head

I dont know of anything better than a wide mouth bottle/jug
post #3 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I typically keep one of these in the cockpit, when on watch alone. Going below is not always a good idea, nor always very comfortable. Of course, my default is the head down below, if conditions and watch coverage allow. It also serves as the midnight urinal at the slip, during shoulder seasons, when I can't get to a pump out.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/li...ot-urinal.html

We have the ladies adapter too, which is still in it's original packaging. My wife refuses to use it.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/la...ot-urinal.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

That's why some of us are smart enough to buy and sail ketches!
We have these really useful things called shrouds, actually three per side, back aftish in the most comfortable part of our boats, in which we can entwine ourselves whence emptying one's own personal bilges. Arg....

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
wsmurdoch (4 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
HANUMAN

I thought that is what the **** <male chicken> pit drains are named for? But I have good aim.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I thought that is what the **** <male chicken> pit drains are named for? But I have good aim.
Possibly in a gale, but certainly not on a hot, sunny day, even in 20 knots of wind?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #7 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
That's why some of us are smart enough to buy and sail ketches!
We have these really useful things called shrouds, actually three per side, back aftish in the most comfortable part of our boats, in which we can entwine ourselves whence emptying one's own personal bilges. Arg....
Multihulls, particularly tris, often have large gaps in the tramps somewhere. Take a seat .
RegisteredUser and Whalerus like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #8 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Take some exception to this advice.
We have two heads. One’s a manual in the forward stateroom where we sleep when at anchor. The other an electric just behind the nav station in front of the work room.
I usually am up and about an hour sometimes two before the bride. The morning routine is get up and leave the forward stateroom closing the door. Put on water for coffee. Go to the sugar scoop and pee. That way don’t wake the wife nor give any surrounding neighbors a thrill.
Sometimes it’s safer to kneel on your knees and hang your business over the edge to pee in a seaway. You’re on watch so want to be quick. If you have full follies on with fleece under it makes it cumbersome. You can go to the head and take off the harness/tether put in the shower. Open up the tops. Drop the foulies bottoms and fleece. Kneel and pee. You can not fall and importantly can’t slide pinching your stuff on the edge of the seat (ouch!!!!).

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I find it very difficult if not impossible to pee off of a small boat with no head and full of people.

Last edited by Whalerus; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:56 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I can't believe how difficult it is to get men to sit on the head to pee when underway. I don't care how good your aim is, you are just making a mess for someone to clean up after you are done. Let's drop the chauvinist crap and be courteous guys!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in