Whale Strike, What to do. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 11-08-2019

Re: Whale Strike, Are We Sinking?

I would like to have an underwater whistle or sound device to alert the whales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 11-08-2019

They come around but the Humpbacks seem to be the only ones oblivious to your presence, the rest seem to know exactly where you are and don't smack into you much. The second one is a gray known locally as "Captain Hook".
Attached Thumbnails
above.JPG   IMG_5098.JPG  

"Just call me TB"
post #13 of 39 Old 11-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This is what I suspect as well, but I wanted to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Itís a pretty clear claim.

On the driving clicks issue, Iím getting pretty annoyed at people who simply post a teaser line and then toss in a youtube video. It seems rather insulting to this community to be using it largely as a means of driving clicks on your own revenue-generating link.

By all means, use videos to support a discussion. But DISCUSS it here, donít just toss out a teaser and a link.
I don't see the insult in that. I find Patrick's videos usually informative and entertaining and appreciate the announcement of new ones here on sailnet (I am not trawling youtube for sailing contents). If you don't, just ignore those posts. And the 'revenue-generating' aspect is pretty minimal: a single sentence at the end of the video inviting to 'like' the video and/or donate some money if you want.

Oh: in case you are wondering: he does not present any hard data that whale strikes are increasing but argues statistically: there are (thankfully) more whales around nowadays than in previous decades and there are also more cruisers. So with this combination it seems reasonable that there would be more whale strikes. I agree with you that actual data would be preferable but I don't know if such data exist, and his conclusion does not seem unreasonable to me.

post #14 of 39 Old 11-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, didn’t view the video. Hope this isn’t just a way to drive more views.

But on what basis do you say “whale strikes with sailboats are becoming more frequent”? Data please. And where are you talking? The globe? A local area?

It’s a pretty amazing fact — if true.
Mike, Watch the video and then you will have a whole list of needed verifications. There is only so much detail one can put in a video before it becomes overwhelming. Google is great for expanding on basic information, where you will find your verification and much more. This video is a basic theme and has to stick to it without wandering off in so many other possible directions. The one missing bit of information I am kicking myself for, is not mentioning the possible use of Jimmy Hendrix, Foxy Lady. Patrick Laine uses particular classical music, which seems to attract whales. Would Foxy Lady have the opposite effect? But now, to verify the effects of different music on different whales, that is a whole bit of new research and a different video someone else can do. But in the end, this is about trying not to damage more whales and trying not to have your sailboat damaged by a whale.....please keep that point in mind.

Last edited by overthehorizon; 11-09-2019 at 01:04 AM.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-09-2019

Spent several years in the Beaufort, researching how bowheads react to ship noise, helicopters low overhead, seismic pingers etc. .Often found them scratching their backs on a drill ship. or under way while apparently asleep My 671 jimmy wasn't enough to alarm them so several near collisions were avoided only by luck. For halitosis, its hard to beat the grey whales around Vancouver Island.
post #16 of 39 Old 11-09-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I don't see the insult in that. I find Patrick's videos usually informative and entertaining and appreciate the announcement of new ones here on sailnet (I am not trawling youtube for sailing contents). If you don't, just ignore those posts. And the 'revenue-generating' aspect is pretty minimal: a single sentence at the end of the video inviting to 'like' the video and/or donate some money if you want.
The point is, this is a discussion forum, so DISCUSS the topic you're presenting. Donít just toss out a teaser and then link to an external source. Tell me what youíre wanting to discuss. Then, by all means, support the point with external sources if need be, but donít make my use of THIS tool contingent on watching your external video.

As a secondary point, not all of us have the ability to watch high-data items like streaming video, especially when weíre out cruising. So again, give me the gist of what youíre presenting. Support it with external sources if need be, but DISCUSS it here ó or donít post it on a DISCUSSION forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
Mike, Watch the video and then you will have a whole list of needed verifications. There is only so much detail one can put in a video before it becomes overwhelming. Google is great for expanding on basic information, where you will find your verification and much more.
It is you that made the rather clear and amazing claim, so just present your ďGoogleĒ evidence if it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
...But in the end, this is about trying not to damage more whales and trying not to have your sailboat damaged by a whale.....please keep that point in mind.
Ah Ö finally, the apparent point of your post. So, how do we do this? We can DISCUSS this in this forum without having to view your video. This is a text-based discussion forum, so write out your suggestions. Make your point. Donít make participation in this forum contingent on viewing your video.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-09-2019

Quote:
Support it with external sources if need be, but DISCUSS it here ó or donít post it on a DISCUSSION forum.
Well, it was posted on one of SNs 6 Video sub forums. I don't know what these sub forums are for if not to post videos?
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (11-09-2019)
post #18 of 39 Old 11-09-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Well, it was posted on one of SNs 6 Video sub forums. I don't know what these sub forums are for if not to post videos?
Ah, well then...

I donít use these subforums. Iím barely aware they exist. I just look at recent activity (New Posts) and key into subjects which seem interesting to me. The subforums are completely irrelevant. It would be interesting to know if Iím an outlier, or is this a common way people access threads.

Now that youíve pointed this out Arcb, Iíll try and ignore that subforum. Thanks.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 39 Old 11-09-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Your not an outlier , I search similarly. 😀

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 39 Old 11-09-2019

Quote:
The point is, this is a discussion forum, so DISCUSS the topic you're presenting. Donít just toss out a teaser and then link to an external source. Tell me what youíre wanting to discuss. Then, by all means, support the point with external sources if need be, but donít make my use of THIS tool contingent on watching your external video.

As a secondary point, not all of us have the ability to watch high-data items like streaming video, especially when weíre out cruising. So again, give me the gist of what youíre presenting. Support it with external sources if need be, but DISCUSS it here ó or donít post it on a DISCUSSION forum.
I don't believe that "DISCUSSING" is synonymous with 'typing characters on a keyboard.' If that were the case, then there would not have been any discussion in the world until about 50 years ago (TTY). Discussion can occur using many different media, starting with the spoken word, sending a hand-written letter, showing images, showing moving images (videos) and many others. Heck, in my country paying money is considered 'free speech' and protected by the First Amendment

Your secondary point is understandable. I think the solution to that is to simply not click on videos, rather than deprive everybody else of contents that at least some of us find useful. And you can't seriously make it a requirement that all posted videos (and maybe all images, for those even more data-deprived than you are) need to have a verbal description for them to be allowed on Sailnet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in