Whale Strike, What to do. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Whale Strike, What to do.

OK, hang on a second folks.

I will discuss with the other Mods. So give us a day or 2 please as we are all busy at the moment.

Me, for one, is totally against Click Bait subject title boxes and click bait posts.

So, please, everyone, be prepared to make your subjects better and your original posts better.

I made the subject title a bit more gentle

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
OK, hang on a second folks.

I will discuss with the other Mods. So give us a day or 2 please as we are all busy at the moment.

Me, for one, is totally against Click Bait subject title boxes and click bait posts.

So, please, everyone, be prepared to make your subjects better and your original posts better.

I made the subject title a bit more gentle

Mark
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the serious consideration.

Iíve got no problem referencing outside sources, but all too often we see this kind of, as you say ďclickbaitĒ posting, whose only purpose is to drive traffic elsewhere. Itís not just videos. Weíve seen plenty of the same with personal blogs as well.

If youíre going to use external links, then type out (yes, this is a text-based forum) your key points. Support them with external links if you must, but put them down here so those of us who wonít or canít view these high bandwidth links can still participate.

Iím very interested in discussing the issue of whale strikes. And Iím pleased the discussion quickly got going. So itís been interesting so far (aside from the little tangent). I hope it can continue.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I donít see how cruising videos, in a video sub-forum, would need to have anything more than video content. Duh.

Some are over thinking this. Some just have a hard on for the OP. Itís obvious.

On a more balance note, Iíve seen the OPs YouTube channel. At first, it was distinctly documented that the werenít doing it for money. While Iím certain they arenít making any profit, given the cost to produce the vids, they did put the Tip Jar needle in their arm. You just canít have it both ways. Youíre either posting interesting videos, or youíre posting to look for tips.

This OP has made interesting contributions and posted more than simply the vids. However, the motivation is murky.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Whale Strike, Are We Sinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Your not an outlier , I search similarly. 😀
Ditto!.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #25 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Catalina 400 MKII

If you don't want to see a video, don't click on it. It's that easy. If people want to use our forum to post videos, what problem does it cause?

The topic of whales is important and interesting. It seems a good fit for our forum. I watched it. It was a bit simplistic (sorry), but it did spark some interesting discussion and sharing.

My take-away about the topic is that sometimes people get to darn close to the whales on purpose. Great sightseeing, but poor safety - both for the whales and for us.
post #26 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We crossed Stellwagon Bank a few years back, after departing Boston and heading outside of Cape Cod on passage to Nantucket. We lost count of the whales we saw. Maybe 20. Maybe more. Some were probably repeats. We never altered course, not to get closer, not to get further. The closest of them was about 200 feet away, others 500. It was the most amazing thing we ever saw on the water. Not scary at all.

Prior and since, weíve only seen single whales. Once, off Gloucester, we saw one breach. That was cool.
SanderO, contrarian and Minnesail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

My perception is that the whales (and dolphins) are as aware of us as we are of them, so most of the time I donít attempt to alter course. But there was at least one occasion where a pod of large (Fin?) whales crossed our path while under sail such that I became worried about a strike. I altered course in this case, but I donít know if it was necessary.

Iíve yet to come upon a sleeping whale. I suppose in this case the whale might not be aware of our presence. Iím not sure what you can do about that though.

I can find no evidence that indicates whale strikes with our kinds of vessels are on the increase. There seems to be some evidence they may be on the rise for fast-moving ships like frieghters and ferries. This seemed focused in certain areas only.

Hereís a little display we had of some humpbacks a couple months ago while rounding the northern tip of Newfoundland. They came within a few hundred feet of us while we were under sail. They seemed to intentionally linger with us for at least 1/2 hr.

While they were close, and breaching, I never felt there was any danger of a strike. Like I say, they seemed to be as aware of us as we were of them.

Having had a fair bit of experience with other wild animals, Iíd say this is the norm. In most cases animals are more aware of us than we are of them, so why would whales be any different?
Attached Thumbnails
_IGP7532.jpg   _IGP7533.jpg   _IGP7534.jpg  
contrarian likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #28 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Where does this statistic come from? I think it's bogus. Haven't seen whales for years... We did see a whole bunch of them south of Gardiners Island about 10 years ago. We were surprised.

Edit... them was meant to be dophins...

whales in Gulf of ME and MA Bay and a

Both in Atlantic Ocean
MikeOReilly likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:47 AM.
post #29 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Back in the early '50s Whales were rare , mostly wiped out by commercial harvesting but basking sharks were really common and used for sport harpooning. Great way to show off masculine prowess. Their livers had no value since greased skid roads were over taken by skid steer machinery. Such is progress. The sharks became so numerous that the fisheries department decided to cull. them (they'd run out of surplus war time explosives to destroy huge numbers of sea lion rookeries and were maybe bored). Anyway a large hydraullicly operated knife blade was mounted on the bow of a chartered ex seine boat and succeeded in wiping them out. Just a legend on the coast now. As a aside the boat Pyliis Cormack was renamed GreenPeace and went to the Aleutians to protest .To no avail but the last of the sea otters were found and removed from the blast site. They are doing well and so it goes.
post #30 of 39 Old 3 Weeks Ago

On Veterans Day a gray whale was filmed swimming under surfers at Doheny Beach just outside Dana Point Harbor, water is less than 15 feet deep. Here's a link for those who haven't seen it yet.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...564944242.html
Minnesail likes this.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in