Why American do not crossing oceans? - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Why American do not crossing oceans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
68 of the 122 boats registered on the 2019 Pacific Puddle Jump to Tahiti are from the USA. A little over half.
I guess they didn't read this thread...

Or maybe they did, and set out to disprove the premise.

Either way, we wish them a Bon Voyage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsail View Post
I'm saying that this thread is about nothing but opinion. It was started by a guy who made a rather flawed anecdotal observation. ...

My point was that one can't be so dismissive of one opinion here, just because it doesn't align as well with a particular world view.
These two in the ONE post? LOL

Point taken?

Mark
MikeOReilly likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #203 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
68 of the 122 boats registered on the 2019 Pacific Puddle Jump to Tahiti are from the USA. A little over half.

Of course it is. It originates in the USA!

Its like wondering why a rally from New Zealand to Australia is full of Kiwi and Aussie boats!

The other associated point is that West Coast USA people very rarely *sail* to the east coast USA. Its a hell of an uphill bash. But going downwind across the Pacific, though vastly longer, is much easier.

Back to the original thought... Americans have a very difficult time in the EU with the Schengan rules of 3 months in and 3 months out.
As an aussie I get special dispensations from many EU countries to stay much longer (12 months in Denmark, 3 months Netherlands, and 2 months Belgium).
I can assure you that without my countries special agreements I would be stuffed trying to cruise the EU. As are many of my USA friends.

If you want a fixed, firm "opinion" on this try planning a years cruise through the Mediterranean where you dont stop longer than the rules allow and you don't go to a place thats had a serious terrorism episode in the last 2 years.
If you can work that sausage out then post it here because many, many cruisers as stumped as to how to do it!

Mark
outbound likes this.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

post #204 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

BTW For Americans wishing to visit Europe - who are still reading this thread (LOL) -:

Remember the UK allows you 6 months
Jersey and Guernsey (the Chanel Islands ) allow you time too, out of the EU. You can reset your temporary importation after here too.
Gibraltar gives you 6 months (I believer) its neither English nor EU.
Theres a new NON-eu marina in north Morocco, 30nms from Gibraltar where you can reset your EU temporary Import thing.

So the Atlantic coast, EU, UK, is easily achievable.

By the time you have cruised this area a while you will have worked out all the ins and outs.

BTW... Shipping a boat to the UK from the Caribbean from US$9,000 from St Thomas... US$18,000 from Newport RI . Ouch. But Id do the $9k one next time.

Sea Life

post #205 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
These two in the ONE post? LOL

Point taken?

Mark
OK, you got me. Sort of.

What I'm saying is that it's flawed because it's a limited observation. And it seems to me that the evidence to the contrary is more compelling. The title of this thread is "Why American do not crossing oceans?" That title is just wrong, both in grammar and in sentiment. If 68 Americans are crossing the Pacific, at least SOME Americans are crossing oceans.

As for your point from your thread about the effect of the Schengen agreement, that makes sense. it certainly adds to the challenges of world cruising. Too bad the boating industry doesn't carve out some kind of exception for cruisers.

Last edited by gulfsail; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:20 PM.
post #206 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsail View Post
Too bad the boating industry doesn't carve out some kind of exception for cruisers.
I'd love to see the US make it as easy for a Canadian to cruise US waters as it is the other way round but we are just not important enough.
MikeOReilly likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #207 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'd love to see the US make it as easy for a Canadian to cruise US waters as it is the other way round but we are just not important enough.
Well, you can't say the U.S. hasn't made it easy to overstay Visas. Probably doesn't work so well for cruisers, though.
post #208 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The Pacific Puddle Jump does not have a fixed starting point. Based on counting the "Departing From" Ports, six are leaving from the West Coast of the US. The vast, vast majority of the Puddle Jumpers are leaving from Panama, followed by Mexico, Ecuador,and other Central American ports. A couple of ANZAC boats are coming in from via Bora Bora. When I did it, we departed from Puerto Vallarta.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #209 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Note an evolution in many peoples thinking about passages. I like doing the SDR passages. Think it’s a good group of people and the charity/sailing education involvement is a good justification to join and do their passages. Still, several of my friends from that group maintain membership but no longer do passages with them.
Once you do a few passages your mindset shifts. For many all you want from outside sources of support is a good weather router. The rest is fluff. Some are confident enough in their weather skills that even that is felt to not be necessary.
I would suggest from interaction with various American and non American cruisers most would NOT appear on any of the lists mentioned above.
Again this thread is faced with a fundamental problem. Hard numbers on how many ocean cruisers there really are and where is their country of origin. Beyond anecdotal opinion (including my own) the only reasonable survey is from Cornell and that is fraught with difficulties.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #210 of 212 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Grand Folly just arrived yesterday @ Canary Island after 8 days of Alissios wind one night I get force 4 and 5 wind but the Grand folly did a very good job my next stop will be Cabo Verde Island and the next after that will be Recife Brazil
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0887.JPG  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in