Why American do not crossing oceans? - SailNet Community
 239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 212 Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter

Why American do not crossing oceans?

Hello there I have be sailing for the past 2 month toke off from Jacksonville, Fl my first stop Was Bermuda Second was Flores Azores Portugal third was Horta, Azores Portugal now in Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal so far I did not seeing any boat with American flag on this places so what is going on Americans do not like cruising they sailboat?
ivanka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 Old 07-12-2019

Re: Why American do not crossing oceans?

I’m ared blooded American. Most of my close cruising friends are as well. Some Americans are foreign flag to escape tax or liability issues. So don’t fly old glory. Still other than the SDR fleet there’s a relative paucity of Americans. Cruising the eastern Caribbean seems it goes French, Canadians, British, rest of Europe, Americans, Aussies and kiwis.
Hate to say it but seems my countrymen are less adventurous as regards sailing. Especially those of child bearing and rearing age. Most of the families I’ve had contact with aren’t US borne nor passported.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 212 Old 07-12-2019

Americans spend relatively less on travel and leisure than residents of other advanced nations.

post #4 of 212 Old 07-12-2019
Old soul

If this is actually true, then I expect it has more to do with basic economics and (as a corollary) time off work.

Americans work harder and longer than just about any other developed country. They get far fewer days off and vacation time, and they have far weaker social safety nets to fall back on. Add to this the increasingly precarious nature of employment, and the stagnation of wages, and it all adds up to far fewer (proportionally speaking) who have the ability to get into cruising.
olson34, chall03, hpeer and 11 others like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 212 Old 07-12-2019
Master Mariner

For us, it's all about Schengen. I did numerous transAts before Schengen, but I'll be damned if I'll do a transAt for 90 days in the EU and 90 days out!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 212 Old 07-13-2019

When we think cruising it's primarily the Caribbean or SoPac. Sailing across the Atlantic to enjoy the wonderfull weather and short season of northern Europe just isn't all that attractive. The Med. is better but still not a wonderful place for year around shirt sleeve cruising. Americans do sail to Europe but not nearly in the numbers that sail to warm climates. Of course there is also the government tourist restrictions that aren't enticing to spending a lot of time there. I know even when I was on the East Coast my thoughts of cruising were always south and/or west.
jephotog and overthehorizon like this.

Last edited by roverhi; 07-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #7 of 212 Old 07-13-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
For us, it's all about Schengen. I did numerous transAts before Schengen, but I'll be damned if I'll do a transAt for 90 days in the EU and 90 days out!

Read this ^^^^

Mark
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 212 Old 07-13-2019 Thread Starter

Looking on my page on Patreon maybe help and encourage sailors to do more oceans crossing
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=21791703
post #9 of 212 Old 07-13-2019 Thread Starter

I did the most craziest thing on my life I purchased an 57' 1989 Bruce Robert in Florida last September I did work on the boat all the way to May this year then I try to find crew to go with me and no one was craze lime me so I decide to go solo and I did my first stop was Bermuda toke me 10 day to get there after get hit by 2 big storm scared a lot, then to Flores Island Azores Portugal this leg toke me 22 days and 6 storm and 5 days with no wind at all was not to bad the I rest for 4 days then I start my next leg to Faia Island toke me 4 days with no wind motor sail 80% then here to Sao Miguel Island Azores resting now to go next leg will be Canary Island Spain after that will be Cabo Verde Africa then last one crossing the South Atlantic to Brazil this picture is from Flores Island Azores Portugal
keeping looking on my page https://www.patreon.com/user?u=21791703
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0494.JPG  
post #10 of 212 Old 07-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsailorbr View Post
...... my first stop was Bermuda toke me 10 day to get there after get hit by 2 big storm scared a lot, then to Flores Island Azores Portugal this leg toke me 22 days and 6 storm and 5 days with no wind at all was not to bad the I rest for 4 days then I start my next leg to Faia Island toke me 4 days with no wind motor sail 80%......
Did you get an answer to your question?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in