Electrical Spaghetti 1981/CS 27 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-20-2015 Thread Starter

Electrical Spaghetti 1981/CS 27

Hey all, so I've undertaken the task of rewiring the boat...
To begin:
  • shore cable went straight to a non GFI & non grounded outlet, that was also used as a distribution box for the other outlets, cabin lights and any other docked power needs.
  • non of the gauges worked, all cables were either disconnected or cut
    • lots of corrosion on wires
  • non of the instruments except depth, worked... they lit up but did not work
  • when the boat was hauled out, there was was plenty of galv. corr. on the prop to say, leak
  • when I looked at wiring, regular copper wire and plugs were evident, also some very poor tape and wire connections

and many more things.

Does anyone advise using a wiring kit? or should I just continue wire by wire? Is there any suggestions for minimizing costs and keep the boat safe? the boat hardly cost me anything... but that's is all I can afford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-20-2015

Re: Electrical Spaghetti 1981/CS 27

There is a ton of good advice and guidance on all sorts of projects here:

Compass Marine How To Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

including electrical.

Not sure what you mean by a 'wiring kit' but it's unlikely anyone will sell a harness/prewired assembly that will actually work on your boat except perhaps just from the engine to its panel. (one of the articles above addresses that issue)

Good luck.. it's a big job and worth doing right.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-21-2015

I'd recommend a ratcheting crimper. For heavy cables I got the compression fittings and used the crimper at at the west marine store that they use for rigging. I used regular shrink tube in interior dry spaces and the tubing with the glue inside on exterior wet wiring. Same with the tinned wire. Use a Brother labeler for flags marking the wire. Got my samller gage crimp fittings at radio shack or the hardware store. Where I needed to make up a connection box I got one at either radio shack or the hardware and just installed the fuses switches etc into the box. The GFI should be marine grade. I used more fuses than breakers lower cost. My local marine consignment had a good selection of new electrical components at low cost.

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29

post #4 of 6 Old 12-21-2015
Old enough to know better

Shop around I found Boat Parts & Accessories, Marine Boat Parts, Boat Accessories | Great Lakes Skipper has some nice surplus electrical supplies. They have some electrical panels that might work for you. Most are for power boats, may be labeled wrong but for the price you can't go wrong. I got my shore power cord and plug there. Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com has some great deals on wire. I ordered all my wire from them for my shore power system. I ordered shrink connectors, ratcheting crimper and had my charger to the batteries cable custom made, not expensive at all like a dollar extra for the crimp and shrink wrap came out professional looking. I had them put terminals on one end and ordered it longer than I needed and the charger has clamp connector so I did will not need terminal on that end. I ordered my panel from Defender. So far I am about $400 in or so, I had no shore power at all and now have 6 circuits, more than I likely need. Next electrical task will be the 12 volt system but there is not much to it, so I will get a panel with lots of empty spots as I will likely need them at some point.

You should be able to find LED bulbs on line to upgrade any existing fixtures below, that may help lessen the 12 volt load. Invest in a good charger (NOT a automotive or any removable charger) unless the boat came with a recent one. I don't think there are going to be any kits, and the one site I did see with a "kit" seemed extremely expensive for quite mediocre and not expandable set up made for small powerboats.

I wish there was a good marine consignment shop in my area. Especially after so many boats were totaled by Sandy and Irene, but I think sadly most went strait to the landfill.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-21-2015

I would advise using breakers instead of fuses for long term economy. If you do not wish to use a traditional breaker panel, the button type breakers are quite reasonable in cost and eliminate the expense and time of fuses if you have an issue at a stressful time and your circuit is still protected. I do know from experience that time spent in planning and preparation is worth twice its weight in afterthought.....
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks all. I've connected the new shore power panel, was going to use the old power inlet until... I looked at it and it looked like a burnt marshmallow. I'll get a new one tomorrow.

I've got a yanmar ysm8, anyone know where to find ar wiring harness for it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in