Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 06-20-2017

Re: Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Here's a screen shot of some of my "M" files perhaps you know some of these Mirage's
Don't recognize any of those names, but then I am not in GTA. Only boat names I would recognize are the ones currently on our dock. And even those I don't remember 3 Mirage 35s and two 33s out of how many? Hard to find that sort of data. Probably couple of hundred. Those are the Mirage models mentioned as possible alternatives to the CS-33. Overall, I suspect Mirage built several thousand boats of all models.

Checking recent prices, it does seem guyfromthenorth is right that the Mirage 35s command a higher price than CS-33s. Interesting in that they probably cost less when new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 06-20-2017

This is what famed boat surveyor and reviewer Jack Horner had to say about the CS 36. It is a different boat but he has a lot of good things to say about the general build quality of all CS boats.

https://www.spinsheet.com/resources1/used-boat-reviews
post #23 of 27 Old 06-20-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
Don't recognize any of those names, but then I am not in GTA. Only boat names I would recognize are the ones currently on our dock. And even those I don't remember 3 Mirage 35s and two 33s out of how many? Hard to find that sort of data. Probably couple of hundred. Those are the Mirage models mentioned as possible alternatives to the CS-33. Overall, I suspect Mirage built several thousand boats of all models.

Checking recent prices, it does seem guyfromthenorth is right that the Mirage 35s command a higher price than CS-33s. Interesting in that they probably cost less when new.
Well a 35' boat normally sells for more than a 33'. Since January 2014 there have been 48 CS 33's sold on Yacht World and only 7 Mirage 35's in that same time period. This pretty well matches the number of these boats I see on the Great Lakes.

Now a significant majority of the CS 33's that have been sold since January 2014 have been much older than the Mirage 35's but when compared year to year there does not appear to be much if any difference if they are compared sale to sale, model year to model year with equipment also considered. So bigger boat, newer boat, yeah a few of them have sold for more.

I have attached the soldboats.com data with the sales data of both boats. Sorry if things are a little misaligned but copying from soldboats.com is awkward for some reason.

I believe a closer comparison would be the Mirage 35 and CS36T and in that case the mirage's are selling for 10,000 to 15,000 less as per soldboats data

Sorry this site will not let me upload a pdf. but if you PM me an email address I'll send it to you.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 06-21-2017 at 12:35 AM.

post #24 of 27 Old 06-20-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
This is what famed boat surveyor and reviewer Jack Horner had to say about the CS 36. It is a different boat but he has a lot of good things to say about the general build quality of all CS boats.

https://www.spinsheet.com/resources1/used-boat-reviews
As I said earlier, after thousands of surveys I believe they were the best built of all production boats. Particularly the 36T

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #25 of 27 Old 06-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I believe a closer comparison would be the Mirage 35 and CS36T and in that case the mirage's are selling for 10,000 to 15,000 less as per soldboats data
I think Mirage owners would be happy to hear that! But in reality, the two boats are really in a different class. Displacements provide a guide: CS36 15,500lb; Mirage 35 10,000lb; CS 33 10,000lb; Mirage 33 9,300lb. In rough terms, we paid for boats by the pound!

The Mirage 33 and CS-33 were on market at same time. CS higher quality finish & better sailing performance, Mirage more interior room, better engine and better glasswork. The Mirage 35 is same boat as 33 with reverse transom. The 35 had gradual improvement in interior finish up until end of production in late 80s.

Mirage made a practice of extending their Robert Perry boats - 26 became 27, 30 became 32, 33 became 35. Mostly by adding reverse transom. Except for the 32, which I seem to recall they just measured differently!

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-21-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-21-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
I think Mirage owners would be happy to hear that! But in reality, the two boats are really in a different class. Displacements provide a guide: CS36 15,500lb; Mirage 35 10,000lb; CS 33 10,000lb; Mirage 33 9,300lb. In rough terms, we paid for boats by the pound!

The Mirage 33 and CS-33 were on market at same time. CS higher quality finish & better sailing performance, Mirage more interior room, better engine and better glasswork. The Mirage 35 is same boat as 33 with reverse transom. The 35 had gradual improvement in interior finish up until end of production in late 80s.

Mirage made a practice of extending their Robert Perry boats - 26 became 27, 30 became 32, 33 became 35. Mostly by adding reverse transom. Except for the 32, which I seem to recall they just measured differently!
Different strokes for different folks.

post #27 of 27 Old 06-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
So, if I was interested in racing, would I be better off with a Mirage 26 or a Mirage 27? Why?
If object was strictly or mostly racing, neither would likely be a good choice.

But if object is a cruising boat that could race against other PHRF rated boats in local club races, then there should not be much difference. This provided sails, engines and props are equivalent. The reverse transom on the 27, may provide a longer sailing waterline which may provide better performance in some conditions. But I doubt PHRF ratings are different.

The other factor, would be the make up of the racing fleet. No use trying to race a PHRF 219 boat if most of fleet is in say under 150 PHRF range. Then maybe buy a Kirby or J 30 or one of many other racing boats that have reasonable accommodation.

By the way, there was another Mirage 27. Designed by Peter Schmidt. Very roomy boat. About same as a CS30! Really a Cruiser/Racer in same vein as the early C&C 27s with close to same performance. Not many around. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=922

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-21-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in