Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-19-2017 Thread Starter

Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping to get some input on my next "real boat" purchase. My wife and I have been sailing the heck out of our Tanzer 7.5m for a few years now on the North Shore and Lake Huron. The "hobby" has not died down, in fact it's becoming an obsession so we are looking for our next boat. In a perfect world we'd buy a CS36T and have that as our long term cruiser, but with the prices out there we don't see that happening. The CS33 looks to be a possible great fit. Here's what we were hoping some owners could fill in for us:

-From what we can tell the CS33's had solid glass hulls. Is this true? We aren't as scared of cored decks because we can live with them being a bit spongy, and don't mind fixing them up if needed, however a cored hull with some delam is a real worry for us.

-A BIG reason to move up in boat size is due to us not wanting to live "hunched over" anymore. The Tanzer has been great to us but I think the headroom is about 4ft. I am 6ft 3", maybe 6ft 2in without shoes on. Is there any chance I will be able to stand up in the Cs33? It feels like it would be a dream to be able to stand up to put a pair of pants on lol.

-We would be looking to move it one day down the ICW and have it parked in FL as our Bahamas\Caribbean cruiser. Does anyone see any issue with that idea?

-Any major issues with these boats we should know about? I've heard the rudders are hollow and should be drained when hauled out each winter. Other than that anything else?

We know that we can sort out some of those questions by visiting a boat, but the nearest boat dealer and CS33 is over a 9hr drive (one way) from where we live. We will be doing some boat visits but if the CS33 won't fit the bill for us it's better to find out now rather than arrange vacation and a long drive just to be disappointed.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-19-2017

Re: Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's

I think you'll have adequate headroom in most areas with the CS 33. They are terrific boats with a good reputation. A bit hard to find depending on area.

IIRC there were both quarterberth versions and non quarter versions.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-19-2017)
post #3 of 27 Old 06-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
We know that we can sort out some of those questions by visiting a boat, but the nearest boat dealer and CS33 is over a 9hr drive (one way) from where we live. We will be doing some boat visits but if the CS33 won't fit the bill for us it's better to find out now rather than arrange vacation and a long drive just to be disappointed.
We have quite a number of CS-33s in our area and several friends owned them. Nicely finished and no doubt, quite a good boat.

My wife & I have sailed quite a bit on one CS-33. Each time for about a week along with the owners. Partly in Gulf of St Lawrence, partly in more protected waters. With two couples you soon find that it is not a very big boat! Headroom is adequate but not all that great. A Mirage 35 an Ontario 32 (same price range?) or some others may provide better accommodation.

From a sailing viewpoint, the CS-33 is a good sailer. But it is relatively tender and you need to shorten sail early. Best in light air areas.

Be aware that some Bukh engines had problems. There were reports of water backing up from exhaust into the engine cylinders. Our friends eventually replaced theirs with a Yanmar (probably best engine for small sailboats)

Other issue with the CS-33 and CS's in general, was osmosis. Almost all that I know of had to have epoxy bottom treatment. So be sure it has been done and is still in good condition (Need to haul boat and have survey)

Finally, this is a link to a pretty good summary of the CS-33 (but bear in mind that author is a boat broker )CS 33

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-19-2017 at 08:45 PM.

post #4 of 27 Old 06-19-2017
Dirt Free

I believe CS boats to be the best of all production boats of that era so you are off to a good start. I've surveyed close to 200 CS's but only 19 -33's. I don't think they made as many as their other models. There were a few years where they had some bad gelcoat and were susceptible to blisters below the waterline but I have never seen a blister deeper than the gelcoat in a CS and out of about 200 boats I;ve seen about half a dozen, much fewer than any other brand of that era. In my opinion this is a cosmetic issue and easily dealt with.

CS boats are not perfect but they did have one feature that made them different from every other mfg. of the day. They had a QC program the day the factory opened and they stuck to it. With many others of those times what they built on Monday was very different from what they built on Thursday.

Yes, the hulls are solid glass and yes the rudders were built hollow...... big bonuses in my opinion.
As to problems with the Bukh .... first time I've heard of it.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As to problems with the Bukh .... first time I've heard of it.
Pat Sturgeon had heard of it ! Local surveyor here warned about it in his reports back when we were involved. (even if there was nothing wrong!) Several local boats had same problem - water in oil. Caused either by leakage from water pump seals or getting sucked back in from exhaust. Not good for engine!

Some links:
Diesel engine with 'peanut butter' cooling and lube system... - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Bukh DV20 - Water in Oil - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Of course, many Bukhs run for years without any problems. They were used extensively on UK canal boats. I had one myself (a saildrive) - It worked well, but only had it for two seasons! How do you check out an engine during a survey anyway?
post #6 of 27 Old 06-19-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
Pat Sturgeon had heard of it ! Local surveyor here warned about it in his reports back when we were involved. (even if there was nothing wrong!) Several local boats had same problem - water in oil. Caused either by leakage from water pump seals or getting sucked back in from exhaust. Not good for engine!

Some links:
Diesel engine with 'peanut butter' cooling and lube system... - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Bukh DV20 - Water in Oil - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Of course, many Bukhs run for years without any problems. They were used extensively on UK canal boats. I had one myself (a saildrive) - It worked well, but only had it for two seasons! How do you check out an engine during a survey anyway?
I'll be seeing Pat on Thursday, I'll have to ask him about that.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-20-2017 Thread Starter

Great info everyone, thanks for the input so far and keep it coming. I hadn't heard of the engine issue before so that's a heads up.

The mirages look good but the ones near me are pricier than the cs33. I hadn't look into Ontario yet but may have a look, I liked the aloha 34 too.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-20-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Great info everyone, thanks for the input so far and keep it coming. I hadn't heard of the engine issue before so that's a heads up.

The mirages look good but the ones near me are pricier than the cs33. I hadn't look into Ontario yet but may have a look, I liked the aloha 34 too.
Aloha 34 common issues ....
Severe inter-laminate blisters below the waterline are not uncommon (this type can be structural).
Voids in keel ballast filled with water (don't know what ballast material is but this could be a problem)
Weak rudder skeg, I've seen several de-laminated with very high moisture content.
Serious issues with their propane installations.

Mirage - You don't say which size but compression post support on some models has been an issue. Deck/trunk core decay due to water intrusion may be slightly more prevalent than other brands.

post #9 of 27 Old 06-20-2017

Boatpoker,
Have also heard of blistering problems with Alohas.

Not with Mirage. Their boats, despite being lower priced when new, have stood up better than most from that era. They had excellent glass shop. A bit cheap with hardware , but many used boats have updated equipment. Talking of Mirage 33/35 here, never heard about any compression post problem. Don't know what Deck/Trunk core decay means. No core issues that I have heard of on Mirage cruising boats and back when involved, no problems when surveyed.

Ontario 32 is solid and roomy boat. Gelcoat blistering occurred on most local boats, but by now, most boats would have had that addressed.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-20-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
Boatpoker,
Have also heard of blistering problems with Alohas.

Not with Mirage. Their boats, despite being lower priced when new, have stood up better than most from that era. They had excellent glass shop. A bit cheap with hardware , but many used boats have updated equipment. Talking of Mirage 33/35 here, never heard about any compression post problem. Don't know what Deck/Trunk core decay means. No core issues that I have heard of on Mirage cruising boats and back when involved, no problems when surveyed.

Ontario 32 is solid and roomy boat. Gelcoat blistering occurred on most local boats, but by now, most boats would have had that addressed.
I guess we've had differen experiences. I've only surveyed about 25 Mirage boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in