cs 36 merlin mast replacement - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter

Re: cs 36 merlin mast replacement

yes did have a baby stay ..below the deck at 5ft from the keel , whats with that little tweeker ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
yes did have a baby stay ..below the deck at 5ft from the keel , whats with that little tweeker ?
Sounds like a deck stiffener, not a babystay. Just another thing to consider though. It takes halyard loads off the deck and sends them to the mast. Its essential if the deck can't take the load.
goboats likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
goboats (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Roughly where is the mast in Canada ? there are a couple of rigger shops in Ontario that are very familiar with these masts should you choose to have mods made prior to shipment. Peter Tielen, owner of Holland Marine bought all factory inventory when CS closed the doors and still has an extensive inventory. He also has a Merlin (heavily modified) and is a bit of a CS fanatic.
It's true that Holland Marine have some surplus hardware from CS. But unless by some chance they acquired a matching mast section, the only sources that I am aware of are EB Spars in Canada and RigRite in USA. There are rigging shops in Ontario, but they would have to source mast from Isomat dealers.

US$2500 to ship mast from Rhode Island to Florida is a bit steep but understandable if by common carrier. May be not much more to ship boat to Montreal using Canadian trucker and have EBSpars do the work there! That is , IF they have a mast section.

By the way:
Quote:
Isomat and Francespar masts were the two large French Spar manufacturers of the 70's and 80's and there are still a large quantity of these masts spread far and wide around the world.

These masts were built for many of the large european yards such as Gibsea, Jeanneau, Beneteau, First, Dufour, Island Packet, Malo and many others.

Isomat and Francespar were merged and re named to form what is today's Sparcraft.
Definitely a sourcing and logistical puzzle! Been there myself when my Isomat mast broke. Replaced with different make.
wymbly1971 likes this.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 07-01-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Old 07-01-2017 Thread Starter

Right FreeAgent 2500 is too much so I put it out on USHIP for bid , lets see what we get. Broke your mast on your 32 ? ..how did it happen ? . Seems like this one broke too easily ! Another sailboat out of control took out her shrouds and front stay with Its boom . bent it right over at the top spreader 13 ft down. Was going to sleeve it till I found damage lower down at the lower spreader , well two sleeves are one to many. In my books one it bad enough and should be avoided .
Old 07-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Right FreeAgent 2500 is too much so I put it out on USHIP for bid , lets see what we get. Broke your mast on your 32 ? ..how did it happen ? . Seems like this one broke too easily ! Another sailboat out of control took out her shrouds and front stay with Its boom . bent it right over at the top spreader 13 ft down. Was going to sleeve it till I found damage lower down at the lower spreader , well two sleeves are one to many. In my books one it bad enough and should be avoided .
The one I broke was on an earlier racing 30 footer. Was at one time in rigging business too, so been through this kind of thing for others too.

Did you find out if that rig-rite section already had welded based for single spreader rig? If so, not ideal and you may want to keep looking.

Sleeveing on Isomat mast may be a bit of a trick. Anyway, you have ruled that out.

You might find that Sparcraft or US Spars can ship a mast to Florida from Europe for reasonable price? By the way, i believe EBSpars are the Sparcraft agent in Canada - makes sense since Isomat became part of Sparcraft.

Sorry for all comments - Just something I used to be involved in.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 07-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2017 Thread Starter

Hey no probs keep the comments coming ,appreciate your experience and will to help . Mot heard back from Rig right yet about the spreader difference but not to concerned . Why do you think it might to much trouble when I can rivet the bases where they need to be . And the pearson bases can just be ignored ? Will contact Sparcraft maybe for final setup and advice thanks FreeAgent . Was the mast difficult to modify on your boat since it was a different make ?
Old 07-01-2017

Re leaving unused spreader bases on spar - castings are kinda substantial and it will be obvious that mast is not original. May affect resale value? Could be ground off, but even that would be obvious. Just thought that for a professional job, I wouldn't do it that way.

My mast and digging were trashed. Also changed from single to double spreader with more bendy lighter section. Had to install new mast step casting, deck sleeve and modify chain plates.plus all new rigging. Was back racing in 6 days! Luckily found a suitable mast section close to home.

When replacing masts, some mast suppliers had special trucks & trailers and delivered masts themselves. One time I think we added mast to delivery of another boat saving $$.
goboats likes this.
Old 07-02-2017 Thread Starter

There is also the possibility that the 385 single spreader mounts are within a close distance to my lower set and we just use mine and add the uppers ? . Will find out more Monday from Rig Right I hope.
Was thinking I could use all 3 spreader locations . CS at 20ft (lower factory position) then the pearson at a slightly shorter width and the cs on top with its factory setting . The middle spreader would not have much load on it and would kinda work as just as a cover for the bases . Bad idea ??

Last edited by goboats; 07-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2018

I know this is a late reply, but Klacko, Oakville, Ontario made the masts etc, etc for Canadian Sailcraft. Also, the name of the gentleman that did the rigging for Canadian Sailcraft is Wilson Yates. He has his own business still called yatescustomrigging.com

Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Looking at a CS 36 Merlin this weekend in South Fl. Could this be yours? How did the mast replacement go?

Tartan 31

Last edited by scubadoo; 04-05-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in