cs 36 merlin mast replacement - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter

Question cs 36 merlin mast replacement

Bought a 36 merlin with a broken mast( a CS deal I couldn't resist) and found a replacement isomat ng60 which was the original stick . Cost $3000 only problem (maybe) is that it was designed for a pearson 385 and has mounts for only one spreader at 30ft , loa 51.7 ft , the merlin isomat came with 2 spreaders , question is can I modify it and add the second spreader at 12ft from the top or just rig it again with the one spreader. Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-30-2017

Re: cs 36 merlin mast replacement

Interesting post and project....

My answer is I don't know.

I would think the length and spacing of the spreaders would be engineered to hit the chainplates.....and those on that Pearson may be different than your CS36 Merlin.
FreeAgent and goboats like this.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-30-2017

You don't say where you are. But in Canada, you would want to contact Evert Bastet at EB Spars. Isomat agent in Canada. EB Spars Isomat Home Page. In USA, probably Rig-Rite?

From what I recall, some isomat spar spreader bases were riveted on with monel rivets. But perhaps the one you have is welded? It may be possible to relocate the bases you have if riveted, and add a second set so as to match the CS locations. Or just put on two new riveted sets leaving the welded base it place? Not too pretty! Did you get the broken mast? It could have some useful fittings.

Could be that the double spreader CS mast had shorter spreaders than the Pearson and needed the additional support? I believe there were two rigs - Tall or Regular. Probably both double spreader.

Those boats likely had rod rigging? EB can probably help with that too.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-30-2017 at 07:55 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks very much sailors , great opinions and that's why we came here . difference in engineering will have to be considered . FreeAgent I did contact EB spars for a quote on the mast but have yet to ask any technical questions and yes Rigrite has the mast Id like to purchase . Mine came with welded spreader bases and Im assuming the 385 pearson mast has the same . Rod rigging we do have so Im happy to hear that I can rivet bases in the same location as mine and keep her with the original rig formation. Now to find a way to ship it to florida. cheers from Ont Ca
post #5 of 20 Old 06-30-2017
al brazzi

My spreaders are welded (CS30) Selden rig. Amazingly well built BTW. Did your rig have a baby stay? are, were the shrouds inline, All this needs to be considered in replacing the rig. I agree get with Rig-Rite or Holland Marine in CN, they have the CS parts covered pretty well. If you go from double to single spreader the load on the chainplates is different I don't know if this is a consideration, or maybe I'm over thinking it.
goboats likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-30-2017
Dirt Free

Roughly where is the mast in Canada ? there are a couple of rigger shops in Ontario that are very familiar with these masts should you choose to have mods made prior to shipment. Peter Tielen, owner of Holland Marine bought all factory inventory when CS closed the doors and still has an extensive inventory. He also has a Merlin (heavily modified) and is a bit of a CS fanatic.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-30-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Bought a 36 merlin with a broken mast( a CS deal I couldn't resist) ... .
Hopefully this deal was at least $20000 under the price of a similar CS 36 boat with a rig or someone other than the OP has made a killing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
goboats likes this.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-30-2017 at 09:43 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter

The mast is with the boat in Florida and wow boatpoker that is some great info and Peter is now at first priority to contact Tuesday . Happy Canada Day
post #9 of 20 Old 06-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Thanks very much sailors , great opinions and that's why we came here . difference in engineering will have to be considered . FreeAgent I did contact EB spars for a quote on the mast but have yet to ask any technical questions and yes Rigrite has the mast Id like to purchase . Mine came with welded spreader bases and Im assuming the 385 pearson mast has the same . Rod rigging we do have so Im happy to hear that I can rivet bases in the same location as mine and keep her with the original rig formation. Now to find a way to ship it to florida. cheers from Ont Ca
If you can re-use the rod rigging, that will be a big saving. But have it checked out before you do that!

Do I understand right that boat is in Florida and mast you have located is at Rig-Rite in Rhode Island? Shipping that distance can add up! There have been some complaints about Rig-Rite. Maybe read this Sailnet thread just so you know what to expect! https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...-rig-rite.html.

There are a lot of riggers as well as sparmakers in southern USA. If boat is there perhaps it would be better to deal with whoever will do the re-rigging? (Sparcraft, US Spars, others?) However, it would be neater to use exact same mast section so decksleeve and step match.

Good luck with it. Interesting project!

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-30-2017 at 09:59 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter

That's correct Freeagent mast and ship both in Florida , funny ive had slow and sketchy replys from rig rite and will read any info I find thanks. they wanted 2500 for shipping so have chosen to seek other transport . Goal is to match all rigging and be set up by a pro rigger .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in