SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   CS Yachts (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/)
-   -   Storm jib for CS30? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/300585-storm-jib-cs30.html)

justin forkix 10-12-2017 02:02 PM

Storm jib for CS30?

Hi all, has anyone installed / used a storm jib on a CS30? I have sailed all summer (my first at this) with a #1 jib and max 20 knots of wind. It was fine, but at what wind speed does that become too much headsail? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hudsonian 10-12-2017 03:24 PM

Re: Storm jib for CS30?

It depends on how the sail was built. Ask your sailmaker.

justin forkix 10-12-2017 03:53 PM

I have done that and he suggested a new stay connected to a new chainplate on the deck, and a hank-on storm sail. Before I do that I was hoping to hear some thoughts on whether anyone has tried that and found it worthwhile. I'm sailing on Lake Ontario.

albrazzi 10-12-2017 04:15 PM

Justin, I have the same Boat and fly a heavy 140% up to the speeds you reference. Its on a roller, I can and do roll it up some when I need to but you can carry a LOT of sail off the wind on this Boat, she loves it. I assume you are on a roller as well? I think a new stay would be problematic finding a good anchor point, you are right in the anchor locker and the CS 30 has a real beefy stem plate but not big enough to fly a stay behind the roller.
FWIW there is no substitute for a properly shaped and sized Sail, roller furlers have that drawback in my opinion you can reef but you lose shape, adjustable tracks are handy in this case. Might be my next purchase. Hudsonian is correct its all about the shape
Hope this helps AL

justin forkix 10-12-2017 05:00 PM

Yes thanks, I do have a roller but wasn't sure about flying partially furled. Sounds like it could be okay in a pinch. Glad to hear from someone with the same boat.

Arcb 10-12-2017 07:05 PM

I don't think a storm jib would be worth the money on a CS 30 on LO. Plain and simple.

I sailed a Grampian 30 out of Toronto for years with a 130 Genoa, never had to reef it past about %100, and I like spirited conditions. Reef points in your main are a good idea if you don't have them.

Don't rush into it.

RegisteredUser 10-12-2017 07:17 PM

If you often go out in strong winds, maybe consider adding a 100% jib with foam luft.

Faster 10-12-2017 07:28 PM

I'd just get a 90 - 100% headsail made for your furler, and be prepared to change the sail before setting out in those conditions that need it. You'll get much better performance than a partially rolled genoa.

Forget about an inner stay and all the complications that would go with that.

You could probably adapt a decent used headsail that is 'undersized' for your foretriangle but has the right luff tape. Use a pennant to get the sail to a height that still works with your jib car track locations.

FreeAgent 10-12-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcb (Post 2051242809)
I don't think a storm jib would be worth the money on a CS 30 on LO. Plain and simple.

I sailed a Grampian 30 out of Toronto for years with a 130 Genoa, never had to reef it past about %100, and I like spirited conditions. Reef points in your main are a good idea if you don't have them.

Don't rush into it.

Agreed. Mind you, any time I have sailed in Toronto area, it has been virtually dead calm ;)

We were at one time in the sail business. We sold quite a number of storm jibs and storm trysails. Can't imagine any of them were put to good use. Never mind Lake Ontario, even on those boats heading South to Bahamas and Islands.

Only use I could see, would be on ocean crossings in storm conditions.

If wind pipes up to 25+, just roll the genoa to handkerchief size and put a reef in the main (or take it down)

Arcb 10-12-2017 07:59 PM

For sure, the dinghy sailing is much better in the Kingston area ;)