CS 27 & 30 questions - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boatpoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2019 Thread Starter
Looking for cruising boat

CS 27 & 30 questions

Hello all,

I have read a lot about the quality of CS boats, and although the 36T is my favourite, it's out of my price range ($20K CAD). I have seen a few 27s and 30s at the docks, but only one 27 for sale, that I was able to view on board.

First impressions of the CS 27 were so-so: the pronounced tumble home and ridge line in the hull 6" below the deck joint is something I didn't expect from photos. The galley sink is pretty awkwardly placed. The head/vberth door contraption would drive me crazy; I'd probably remove the door and use a curtain. Although we're used to small spaces in our Westfalia, I'm not sure the 27 is going to be comfortable enough with long distance cruising. Also, this 27 had significant staining on the bulkheads below both chainplates. Asking price is $13500 CAD; I have no idea if this is competitive. Original YSB8 engine seemed to run well enough.
If it were a heavy displacement design like a Vancouver 27, I might be able to overlook this, but it's not.

So, on to the CS 30. On another thread here, the story of the crew who were rescued from their 30 during a return from Bermuda is used to illustrate that the boat is not suitable for offshore use. But I don't want to discount a boat because of one bad experience, especially since the real cause of the issues (suspected hull-deck joint leak, mast pumping, fuel leak) could not be confirmed due to the boat never being recovered. The only 30 I've seen recently was listed for $24000 CAD (it's off the market until spring), which seems reasonable based on Yachtworld comparisons. Are there any other experiences from owners of 30s (or 27s) in rough seas?

I have noticed that the CS boats seem to use taller rigs than most (but also double spreaders on most models). Does this place them at higher risk in extreme conditions? I believe the 27 and 30 both have shrouds which meet at a common chainplate, with a baby fore stay. I wonder if this design contributes to mast pumping under heavy conditions? Having all shrouds share a chainplate means they better be solid.

My plans are to cruise the BC inside passage to Haida Gwai, and eventually around Vancouver Island. Eventually going to Mexico from BC is also a possibility. I'd prefer to get a boat capable of this now, rather than go through the search process again in a year or two...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2019
Dirt Free

Re: CS 27 & 30 questions

PM me an email address and I'll respond with the Soldboats.com data for all 24 CS30's sold through YachtWorld since January 2016.

This forum will not let me upload a pdf.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2019 Thread Starter
Looking for cruising boat

Thanks, will do, as soon as my post count allows it! Getting close now...

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Wright View Post
Thanks, will do, as soon as my post count allows it! Getting close now...
Or .... just send an email to [email protected] and I'll respond with the pdf.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in