I need YOUR sailing story! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Re: I need YOUR sailing story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Please try a google search for "sailboat log", and/or "sailing blog".
There are a ton of cruising blogs on (blocked link) which is but one of many blog hosting websites.
My boat blog is mostly about fixing stuff rather than cruising so I don't recommend it to you.
Thank you Caleb, this is really helpful! I'll get onto it Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-26-2016
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk97 View Post
Hi Mike, sorry for not getting back to you. None of us get paid - it's all on a voluntary basis. A lot of us contribute to the magazine outside of our main jobs as it's something we really enjoy
Thanks SSK. I understand what you're saying. If you're not making any revenue (no ads, no subscriptions), then it's a wonderful community donation you're making. Good on you!

We all give in different ways to the communities we love. People write here (me included) for free, even though we know it's not a not-for-profit. I get it. But as a professional writer I certainly can't afford to give away too much. Good luck. Hope you make it work.
PaThomas123 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-29-2016

Sorry SSK, I am not sure I am buying it. I am having trouble thinking that you are doing this without any compensation whatsoever. There must be some work/experience advantage, or some other benefit.
If you are truly writing for free, then you can come on my boat all expenses (food, berth, port fees) taken care of, as well as an apology from me, a grumpy old captain.
seabeau likes this.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk97 View Post
Tribe Magazine doesn't pay any of its freelancers, everyone who writes and works for the magazine does it on a voluntary basis. Asking for people to submit their story is a chance for people to get published. I'm compiling over a 10,000 word micropublication off of my own back because it's something I'm passionate about. If you don't like the idea of writing for a voluntary cause, then you needn't comment!
How nice of you to try to shush me.
I will comment here as I choose.

I find it curious that you are passionate about sailing yet this is your only post to one of the leading sailing forums. Where else have you expressed this passion? Moms basement?
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-31-2016

People tell me I should write up the maiden voyage of my little sailboat when the wife and a very experienced sailor friend(who is all his years never experienced a motor failure and had no idea what to do) had to be rescued by the Coast Guard after the wind died, the electric Min Kota fell off the boat(wife didn't tighten the bolts enough), and the Honda 5 HP died from ethanol gas poisoning. Forced us into a serious additional buying spree: later the Honda blew up near the dock, so needed a new motor altogether, bought a back-up Torqeedo, a replacement for the Minn Kota, and a rubber bumper for the dinghy to make it unsinkable, and very stable.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-31-2016

A long time ago you could be paid for short stories or a novella I had one published that i got almost 75.00 for but that was way back in the 1980s now i understand it the model is you write for free and build up a portfolio and hope you get picked up as a staff writer. the internet has been a wonderful thing but has killed the magazine and pulp fiction industry. to SSK97 good luck but Hemingway lived the adventure then wrote about it. that being said I wrote Sci-fi and never ever did fly a starship

Last edited by PaThomas123; 06-03-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Tags
adventure , culture , magazine , publication , submission

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in