Sailing Gear Greece - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2016 Thread Starter

Location: We are from Victoria British Columbia Canada but the boat is in Greece

Sailing Gear Greece

So I am looking for help in finding a good place to buy gear in Greece.

I have my Privilege 39' Catamaran on the hard in Cleopatra Marina till spring and i need to replace some stuff

my 10' zodiac. its coming apart at the seams. thats ok its 12 years old. but i need a new one at a good deal.
i need to replace both my props. looking to go to Flexfold or Volvo Penta folding props but wondering if any one has advice on these.
and i will be replacing my ground tackle. going to Rocna 33 and 100m chain. i want to grab the planet and not let go.

i have had the boat for 2 years but its time to move aboard full time.

so i know the good places to buy stuff in north america but there has to be good online marine stores in Europe? and will they do VAT Tax forms since i will take the stuff out of Europe 2 months after purchase.
So can any one help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-28-2016

Re: Sailing Gear Greece

I doubt you can beat the tax man. Generally to get VAT back you need the forms filled out by seller and the goods need to be shipped out of EU or placed on the boat when you clear out. You could buy through a yard as part of a refit. That MIGHT qualify as a EU company was doing work on a non EU boat.You would have to check.
The Internet will provide the best deal on gear pricewise. Good luck with 700 kilos of chain on a Cat.

Last edited by Jimmy Cricket; 08-28-2016 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-28-2016 Thread Starter

Location: We are from Victoria British Columbia Canada but the boat is in Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cricket View Post
I doubt you can beat the tax man. Generally to get VAT back you need the forms filled out by seller and the goods need to be shipped out of EU or placed on the boat when you clear out. You could buy through a yard as part of a refit. That MIGHT qualify as a EU company was doing work on a non EU boat.You would have to check.
The Internet will provide the best deal on gear pricewise. Good luck with 700 kilos of chain on a Cat.
Thanks Jimmy. I think? i was looking for something a bit more informative.
Yes VAT company's are all around even in the Marina i am in. i was looking for people who have done the same thing as me and have good recommendations.
purchased there items, got the forms from the vendor and then declared it upon leaving the EU to recieve VAT back.
this i have all discussed with Greek customs. all good. now i need the good vendors. Any one with a lead to suitable Vendors would be appreciated.
and there must be online vendors in Europe that can compete with the prices of Defender and the other US on line providers that ship local in the EU. i suspect they are in another language so they do not come up in my searches or i am being Geo blocked for advertising.
but i cant imagine with all the boats in Greece and Croatia some one has not made a booming business selling stuff.
just need to find them.

As for chain. ?? 700 kilos for 100m of chain. wow thats 3/4 chain. we could lift the boat on one strand and thats with tanks full of water and fuel and that is 1000 letters of fluid.
no we use 3/8 BBB chain and its good. no issue. we had 150m and i had to cut 60m off that was rusted. looks like it was original so 24 years is good. and the chain weighs 500lbs for 100m and that is no big deal to a Cat this size. i already got rid of 3 of the surplus anchors the previous owner had. this boat flys at 14kn in good wind cruses at 10-12 normally so no issue carrying the chain. it was designed for.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-28-2016

Congrats on the fast boat! the average cruising speed of a 44 to 46 footer in the ARC is 7 to 8 knots. The many search's I have done for gear shows US suppliers are cheapest even when the manufacturer is asian. Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in