What Makes an Excellent Sailing Destination? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Re: What Makes an Excellent Sailing Destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
....it depends upon what you wish to do when you get to those destinations.....
And there...you have it...

Chains and groups of islands are naturals.
I think Cortez is also a natural, if in the west US.
How much civilization and how much solitude you enjoy is something to weigh.
Getting a fix of modern conveniences when needed and being able to go Crusoe offers all that's good.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I think somewhere you could sail at least 9 or 10 months a year would be nice.
Come to North Carolina. Just bring your coat, gloves, hat, scarf, tank-top, shorts, and flip-flops....all to wear on the same day.

Last seven days the average low has been 28F(-2C)and average high has been 76F(25C). The two months you won't want to sail here however are July and August.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

The 1,000 Islands area is beautiful, but as you stated, the sailing season is very short, six months at best. Keep in mind, though, that in the People's Republic of Maryland, the sailing season runs from about mid April till the end of October, and that's on the good years. So about 7.5 months, in reality, is what we have here. For me, the best place in the US to sail is the Florida Keys, where you can sail year round in beautiful surroundings. Maybe I'm a bit partial to the keys, but it's for good reason. I can sail in comfort, shorts and a tee shirt, flip flops, etc... That, IMHO, is the way sailing was meant to be. And, the winds are always better in the keys. In Chesapeake Bay, all summer long it's 5 to 10 from the southwest. Yuck!

Good luck on your quest,

Gary
Arcb likes this.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-03-2017
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
Hi,

I'm starting to think about casting off for long-term cruising and am looking for some advice on ferreting out the best landing spots to recharge, provision, etc.

How do you guys go about choosing the destinations that you'll consider?

What are the resources that you use to make these decisions?

What are the criteria for an excellent cruising destination?

Thank you,

Chris
I just read this to the admiral and she started laughing and asked as above where are you and what are your quals - how big is the boat - one or two or more - how much experience - where are you getting your weather from - what do you want to do - where have you sailed in the past - what is your budget - oh she just kept going

but really - last summer we sailed all the way around the Black Sea -- we started planning in November and it never stopped until be got back to our winter home in Kusadasi in November - a lot of it depended on weather, timing, site seeing, unexpected surprises -
we are now thinking about this summer sailing season that starts in late April or May and we have something in mind and have begun looking at miles, ports, weather patterns, and where we will spend next winter.

We have started our 10th year out and our 1st year was to make it to the Bahamas and back without sinking the boat. and then up the east coast - we started small and studied and looked and made a bunch of mistakes even though we had a couple of cruisers take us under their wing and helped us a bunch and taught us tons -

And we took our time to learn about our boat and what it needed before we set off for a summer cruiser to the Bay Islands and back and that back never materialized as we just kept moving
Towguy likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #15 of 20 Old 02-03-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
I just read this to the admiral and she started laughing and asked as above where are you and what are your quals - how big is the boat - one or two or more - how much experience - where are you getting your weather from - what do you want to do - where have you sailed in the past - what is your budget - oh she just kept going

I think only sometimes is the original question worthy of amusement, but not this time. In our case we decided where we wanted to go and THEN matched the boat to the most extreme of the locations. Anywhere less extreme the boat would be fine. Then we made a list of the risks, what we could do to mitigate the risks as much as possible such as skill building, training courses and workshops, crewing, etc. and we continue to fill in the gaps (such as weather, budget, etc.) we need to safely sail where we want to go. In the meantime we sail the boat we currently own and push our envelop more each season and we're still sailing while we get ready for the next adventure.
chuck5499, travlin-easy and Arcb like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
And there...you have it...

Chains and groups of islands are naturals.
I think Cortez is also a natural, if in the west US.
How much civilization and how much solitude you enjoy is something to weigh.
Getting a fix of modern conveniences when needed and being able to go Crusoe offers all that's good.
Personally did not get a boat to hang out in a crowd. Usually prefer secluded anchorages where I can drop the hook. If there is a nearby harbor to restock, refuel and water up when needed that's a bonus.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #17 of 20 Old 02-03-2017

Dock

You've certainly received some weird replies.

The ultimate cruising destination is your idea of "exotic". And that's different for each person individually and culturally.

I am Australian and the Caribbean to me is truly exotic... its as far away from Sydney as possible. However for a Floridian the Caribbean is next door and hardly exotic.

I love New York City its exotic! But most Americans think I am nutzo to love it.

Similarly, many Europeans think Bali in Indonesia is exotic but for an Aussie it's a crap tourist dump.

So work out the places that are exotic to you: maybe the Galapagos, or seeing the Pyramids in Egypt, or Patagonia, the glaciers in the PNW, or a south seas tropical island, a boistress Asian city...

Only you can say what is exotic to you. Sail to as many as you can because each are your ideal cruising destination.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #18 of 20 Old 02-03-2017

The best destination is whatever is downwind when you leave. Everything else is just detail.
flyrod likes this.

Greg
post #19 of 20 Old 02-04-2017

Some other considerations for long term stays in remote places:

Visas- How long will the country let you stay?
Is there a difference in how long the boat can be in country vs. your personal visa time?
How/when do you get to the next cruising spot in relation to the weather patterns for your visa expiry date?
Access to spare parts. User friendly customs procedures to import parts via fedex/dhl/us post.
Immense amounts of patience will be required to deal with the vagaries and ever changing rules and regs for offshore cruisers..

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I have folders on my computer with notes and questions, webinars I've attended. I use Evernote to keep things organized. If there is some place I think might be interesting to sail to I add it to the list, then add others' trip reports/problem reports/recommendations to the list.
Would you mind sharing those details? Possibly a link?

Cheers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in