What Makes an Excellent Sailing Destination? - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-02-2017 Thread Starter

What Makes an Excellent Sailing Destination?

Hi,

I'm starting to think about casting off for long-term cruising and am looking for some advice on ferreting out the best landing spots to recharge, provision, etc.

How do you guys go about choosing the destinations that you'll consider?

What are the resources that you use to make these decisions?

What are the criteria for an excellent cruising destination?

Thank you,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Re: What Makes an Excellent Sailing Destination?

Where are you starting from????
IS your ship and skills up to the task?
What destinations appeal to you... that are actually accessible?
Do research!
post #3 of 20 Old 02-02-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Where are you starting from????
IS your ship and skills up to the task?
What destinations appeal to you... that are actually accessible?
Do research!
Hi,

Starting from Florida initially cruising throughout the Caribbean then beyond.

Yes, we're working out a few details on solar vs. wind and water supply. Then we're good to go.

Thanks for your thoughts!

post #4 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

There is a string of islands and coasts going all the way around the world with small and large gaps in between. Just follow them, and provision before the large gaps and enjoy the differences each have to offer. Sorta like Magellan and Columbus and Cook andÖ

Only with better food and easier navigation and less likely to be eaten.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #5 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
Hi,

I'm starting to think about casting off for long-term cruising and am looking for some advice on ferreting out the best landing spots to recharge, provision, etc.

What are the criteria for an excellent cruising destination?

Thank you,

Chris
In a general geographical context, we look for interesting water for destinations. Which means to me, the opposite of a long straight coast.

Islands, coves, bays, rivers and backwaters. We like to gunkhole an area. And this first thought encompasses the most important: a snug place to anchor or moor. We're not a big fan of open roadsteads that test your ground tackle and nerves (but if you're a long distance cruiser, you'll have to deal with less than snug anchorages more often).

Also we look for natural beauty which doesn't necessarily mean undeveloped (but that often helps). We look for shore side interests, towns and villages, museums, historic areas, nice walking or hiking trails.

Then easy shore access (kinda goes with #1) and great provisions. If we're going to stay very long we're not happy with gas station food stores. A nice supply of fresh local food on top of the above, and we can stay for a long time.

As far as finding that, Active Captain is a good up to date resource here in the Northeast. These forums are a wealth of knowledge. Guides, word of mouth.

But we also find great spots, even close to home, by accident. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-02-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
Hi,

We've been doing the same. We like to eat good food so with a few exceptions, our cruising list of places to go follows our stomachs and places whose history and people intrigues us.

I have folders on my computer with notes and questions, webinars I've attended. I use Evernote to keep things organized. If there is some place I think might be interesting to sail to I add it to the list, then add others' trip reports/problem reports/recommendations to the list. I search for information in sailing forums, blogs, organization member newsletters and forums, people we talk to in person at get togethers and gams, books by sailors who have been there.

Then, we chose a boat that could get us safely to wherever there is.

I learned to rule out the opinions of those people who think "every island looks alike" or whose blog rarely has anything good to say about their experience. That tells me the first group doesn't venture beyond the beach bar (which is fine for some, not us) and the second group probably should have stayed home.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Pick somewhere ,,,like Portugal.. It's a destination . everything in between is on the route and the journey is what it's about. Then there is the next destination Like the Med or Brazil .
wymbly1971 and Arcb like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

Many of us are forced to 'cruise' wherever we are.. so I'll take a stab at your question by listing what I think are the 'great' things about the PNW/BC waters.

-Plentiful good sheltered overnight anchorages

-Numerous marine parks with mooring and shore facilities

-A generally Diurnal wind pattern with overnight calm conditions (barring a major weather system)

- a good variety of urban/semi urban destinations combined with remote, more private settings.

- Daily destinations rarely more than 20-30 NM apart, easy day-sails and arriving early enough for choice location/slip and/or on-shore activities

- Options for 'inland' sailing or more challenging outside waters

- Generally good and plentiful provisioning, though in more remote areas more planning is required, and the more remote supply depots are a tad costly.

It's a good thing we get a fair amount of rain, relatively speaking, or the entire cruising world would camp out here and never move - but it's hard to beat a good PNW summer season anywhere in the world.
TomMaine and Arcb like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

All destinations while cruising are good, at least from my perspective. Some are just better than others, and it depends upon what you wish to do when you get to those destinations. I'm not much on restaurants, mainly because I can usually cook a better meal than I could buy and do so with far less expenditure.

The main thing I look for is clear water, warm temperatures, but not hot and muggy, balmy breezes, sugar white sand, swaying coconut palms, and a party atmosphere. I also want a nice, sheltered, quiet anchorage in a safe location. I usually find them first, then explore the destinations for those other features.

Kinda like the old joke, "Who would you like to get stuck in an elevator with, a drop-dead gorgeous blond, brunette or redhead? Answer, I would want to get stuck with the one that knows how to fix the elevator. I'm old and have to pee a lot!"

Same with the boat, I tend to look for locations that also have good marine repair facilities. My friend and one time cruising buddy, Roger C. and his wife recently sailed to Cancun and had an engine problem. Cost him nearly $3,000 to get the boat fixed and it was just a water pump and alternator that needed replacement. He said it was his last trip to Mexico and many of the problems he encountered were because of the local regulations and fees for having parts sent from the US to Mexico. They screwed him every way but right. Something to keep in mind when you leave the US and don't have a spare everything onboard.

Good luck,

Gary
CalebD, RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2017

My wife and I like different things, so I think that's kind of important. I really like reaching, hiking ashore and exploring in the dink, she really likes great swimming holes and trying out restaurants. Neither of us like multi day passages or loud drunk neighbours (drunk is fine, but loud we can do without).

We can find most of what we want in our local waters, the 1000 islands and Eastern Lake Ontario. However, we have one big complaint, and that is the length of sailing season, which is only about 6 months. I think somewhere you could sail at least 9 or 10 months a year would be nice.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-02-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in