Best boats for Sea of Cortez sailing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 08-17-2017

Re: Best boats for Sea of Cortez sailing

Chowdan, help me out. Is your plan on buying in Mx or will you be travelling down from SoCal? With a $20k budget, In short, you should base your decision on best condition. I “do” the season down in Mx and the SOC every other year for the past few years so perhaps I can be of some assistance if you can elaborate on your plans.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Chowdan, help me out. Is your plan on buying in Mx or will you be travelling down from SoCal? With a $20k budget, In short, you should base your decision on best condition. I “do” the season down in Mx and the SOC every other year for the past few years so perhaps I can be of some assistance if you can elaborate on your plans.
GeorgeB - The current plan is to buy in Mexico as we would rather spend time sailing the area than traveling down. I also say that because I hear it's cheaper to purchase down there than in the US.

I do know that $20k is a bit tight on a budget, and we do have some wiggle room(about $3k-$5k) however, we figured we should budget for a max of $20k and stick the extra $3-$5k in reserves for unexpected repairs. This does not touch our budget cruising kitty, but we have enough to last atleast 6-12months given that any repairs/upgrades dont exceed our backup "reserve" cash set aside.

As for prices, I've heard that one should offer roughly 55%-60% of asking price, and hope to settle on around 75% of asking price(given the sellers are willing to move on price). If we liked Catalina 34 enough, we'd be willing to move a bit on our budget of $20k and dip into the reserve cash if need be.

I like the Cal as well, that one is definitely on our list.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-18-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the yacht broker in all the areas in which you seek boats is named ray.
he gets lazy as he is old.
there are many boats for sale in mexico. la paz, san carlos, puerto vallarta and mazatlan.
you can find a cheoy lee 35 in barra de navidad for approx 12000 but you dont want it. it has chainplate issues.
there are many boats for sale in mazatlan and some not via rays brokerage. you must come look for the best values for the dollar and negotiate well.
there is a rafiki just down my dock from me in mazatlan for sale. donot know price and is not via rays brokerage.
there are others as well. in guaymas, also, are boats for sale. you will need to visit all the areas in which boats hide for viewing that which you desire.,
good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
GeorgeB - The current plan is to buy in Mexico as we would rather spend time sailing. I've heard that one should offer roughly 55%-60% of asking price, and hope to settle on around 75% of asking price(given the sellers are willing to move on price).
I have a buddy that thinks that way and has bought a couple boats. I was very serious about a private sale in San Carlos on a slightly overpriced boat. When I pointed out that the average sale prices are 91.4% of asking and offered that to start they laughed me off....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in