Property Tax on Boat Kept in Puerto Rico - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 04-18-2019

Re: Property Tax on Boat Kept in Puerto Rico

I'm not really following your point. I understand the Vieques gunnery range issue. Like so many issues in PR, they wanted it gone (for good reason) and now aren't happy that it's gone (in a way), because it didn't happen the way they wanted.

What I meant about military value was it's original purpose to protect foreign invasion from the south by sea. The San Juan fort was used for observation right up to WWII, but it's been unnecessary since and probably won't ever be again. Perhaps the gunnery range was a misguided attempt to have some remaining military value to justify the extraordinary net loss on federal dollars going to the island (zero return of income tax receipts).

San Juan was originally the central trading port for the entire region, dating back to the 15th century, I believe. That remained the case for centuries. That's long gone too.

The island needs to be reinvented, as it's unsustainable on its own. Not long ago, they attempted to be a foreign corporate tax haven, by attracting US companies that would not need to pay the same federal taxes. Local corruption and lack of workforce screwed that up. PR citizens are fleeing the island in droves, which began long before the hurricanes. Before one envisions that being unskilled labor, it's not (entirely). The island is losing its doctors, engineers, lawyers, teachers, etc. It's in a death spiral.

Tourism could be a US paradise, if they could get their act together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 04-18-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-18-2019

Got pulled off subject. A lot of history there, including bombing the crap out of Culebra until the 1950's while people lived there. PR can't do much of anything without the assistance of the U.S. That's how 'protectorates' work. For example, the BVI has its own corruption issues under British rule. Actions from Stateside put giant holes in the PR economy for the benefit of outside interests. The thriving pharmaceutical industry evaporated into someone else's pocket. The military economy was removed to teach a lesson. And so on. I agree with a lot of what you say, but we're devolving into politics here.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-18-2019

V, Iím very interested in your take. I truly believe Puerto Rico is a diamond in the rough. It could be the prime Caribbean tourist destination. It has room for all levels of tourism, unlike any other island, sans Cuba. Itís fundamentally corruption that is holding it back from its next evolution. The pharmas were the tax haven play. It was both corruption and lack of workforce that killed it. Maybe an OT thread is warranted, but I hate that sewer generally.

Yes, PR is a protectorate, but thatís not an entitlement. Itís just a fact. A fact whose original purpose is no longer needed. What a protectorate is entitled to and what they owe to get it is the center of the issue.

I took four years of Spanish as a kid. My recent involvement down there has me trying to brush up. Iím way behind.
denverd0n likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 18 Old 04-18-2019

Mas Medalla usually suffices. Oh, I see you have a J54DS. Drove one that was spanky new back over 10 years ago. Even raced it (DON'T do it) some. Then sold it to some guy in MI-6 or something like that. I facilitated the sale, I should say. Haven't seen it since. Had a lot of fun on that boat between Culebra and SXM. A friend just grabbed a J49DS for $50K that needs a new mast and had a stand sticking through the nav (port side nav) at knee level that missed everything. Easy fix. Nice boat, galley stove was never used, less than 200hrs on the engine. I don't think anyone had ever slept on it. Except he'll pay more for the factory spar and mainsail than he did for the boat. I watched someone tune the rig on the 54DS. Not an easy task to get it just right.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-25-2019
Master Mariner

I've been going to and working in and around PR since 1979.
The place has always had the same problems and lack of unity. There are those who want independence, those who want statehood and those who want the status quo to remain. I think it really depends on what each individual thinks would be best for themselves, which is the problem, of course.
I suggest we give them independence and let them, like most of the Caribbean Islands, find their own way to success or failure. I can't see the plus of the US supporting them if they can't come together as a community and move toward a self-sustaining entity.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 18 Old 04-26-2019

The problem with these "protectorates" is colonialism and "we know what's best for you." Same thing with many of the British colonies. The corruption was learnt from the guidance of Stateside politicians. They just don't hide it as well in the Caribbean. There's a book called "Rape of the American Virgins," now out of print, circa 1972. Nothing has changed much, but it's a bit of an eye opener (albeit somewhat dry). Thing is, many, many Americans, including some at the top, are clueless, calling Puerto Rico a "country" and the governor of the USVI "the president of the Virgin Islands." My problem with "independence," is that they have not been paying anything but FICA taxes into the U.S. system (medicare, SS) for decades, and if they became a "State" in some way, shape or fashion, the income taxes would necessarily immediately double or more because they'd be paying into the U.S. coffers just like the citizens of every State. In the USVI, income taxes are paid to the IRB, SS, Medicare is paid to the IRS stateside. How do you account for all the previous payments to the IRS if "independence" occurs? Just say "tough, you're done"? No social security, no medicare? Pay all the money back since the inception of the systems? They're subject to every other law, were subject to the military draft, but don't have the right to vote for the President, nor the right to indictment by a Grand Jury if charged with a felony crime. They are "citizens of the U.S." and obtain full Constitutional Rights when they move Stateside, but are considered "non-citizens, not resident in the United States" by the Federal Government. That's colonialism. Change your address and domicile to Stateside, you get more rights. You try and figure it out. I don't see any easy answers.

Last edited by VIEXILE; 04-26-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-26-2019

PR was ďpurchasedĒ via a treaty at the end of the Spanish American war. The reason for the purchase no longer exists. The US is not a sun-never-set style empire. It has strategically established protectorates, for defense and trade. Both were key in the 1800s. Neither are the case with PR anymore. Given history, PR has the rare ability to become a co-equal State, but short of that history, it could not even if it wanted to. To over simplify the sum of the US govt position, no one really cares if they do or they donít, it just canít stay half pregnant. Join in or take it on their own. PR is not entitled to their own rules anymore, because they have little value to provide in return.

Iíd like to see them fully join in and I think it has the potential to be a jewel, for everyone. A tourism paradise. The only real block is the islands political parties. The rest could be sorted out.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #18 of 18 Old 04-26-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Heck, we only had a telephone tax surcharge to pay for that war until what was it, the 1990's? Honest, the sun almost never set on that one either, till someone pointed out that a hundred years ought to be enough. But unlike Haiti, Cuba, or the original 13 colonies, or so many other places, Puerto Rico seems content to exist in limbo. I suppose that beats dictatorship or a banana republic.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in