Visas to USA new Medical Insurance requirements 2019 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 Old 10-06-2019

Re: Visas to USA new Medical Insurance requirements 2019

Most of the Canadians I talk to take out some supplemental insurance if visiting the USA for any protracted period. Last year there was a very sad case of a gentleman loosing his wife after a short illness in Florida. On top of his wife the medical bills were many hundreds of thousand, and he was quite concerned that he would be denied by his insurance and it would wipe him out. Fortunately his insurance cover the bill.

But I hear this often, that Canadians will not travel to USA for any protracted period without insurance.

As to the childbirth citizenship issue the USA and Canada are some of the very few that have it. Mostly just in the New World.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli#References
We have medical insurance for traveling OUTSIDE the USA. Within the USA we have Medicare, but we spend the majority of our time outside, so we have medical insurance for that.

———

Perhaps one should look at this from the perspective of personal wealth. If you have resources, savings, and come to the USA then they are at risk due to high medical expenses. If you own very little and come to the USA then you have nothing to loose and any medical care you do receive is essentially free.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 10-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
A) Being hit by a bus would be subject to a third party personal injury claim... The chance of a pedestrian being found liable is negligible.
A digression and FYI, if you are hit by a government-owned bus, you will have to navigate "sovereign immunity", which shields the government against lawsuits. Under sovereign immunity, typically only certain types of lawsuits may be filed, notice must be given before filing, certain deadlines apply, and certain government officials must be served. This is trickier than filing a lawsuit against an individual, and failure to follow the rules or falling outside the rules can get your claim dismissed. Yet another reason for requiring insurance.

Speaking of filing against an individual. Winning a lawsuit is one thing. Collecting is another. A big problem in America is illegal aliens that injure/kill someone in a vehicle accident and don't have insurance or any assets from which to collect. Requiring visa holders to have insurance protects them and society from those who don't have insurance.

America has contributory negligence and comparative fault. (Our laws vary by state.) A pedestrian can indeed be found liable if they were at fault or contributed to the reason for the accident.

Quote:
B) yes, proof of funds is very interesting. I wonder what the number would be? As a heart attack us not covered under any travelers policy, and I understand a 'normal' MI in the USA gas a bill of over $50,000 it could be a pretty big number.
Are you certain that heart attacks are not covered under any travelers policy? In any earlier post, I believe you also mentioned pre-existing conditions. An insurance broker (who represents a number of insurance companies) may be able to locate a plan for you, although you may not like the price of the plan.

There's an advertising revenue suggestion for Sailnet: Insurance companies that offer boat or health insurance.

Quote:
I'm sure the US doesn't want to stop all tourist visa travel just illegal and medical travel. So proof of $15,000 funds would stop the scams and happens to be what Canada requires.
Despite the loud screaming from some, a number of countries already have the various restrictions that the United States would now like to add. I don't think that $15,000 would cover much in an accident. In case you didn't know, in America, those with insurance policies pay a much lower price for medical care than those without insurance. I cut my head recently in a minor fall, and the ER wanted $3,000 for an MRI--I declined.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #23 of 72 Old 10-06-2019

Quite some time ago when my uninsured brother had an MI the bill was $75,000, his wife offered $300/month or $35,000 cash and they took the cash.
I've paid about $1000/month for health insurance for forty years and it's saved me from bankruptcy half a dozen times, when my wife was hit by a one ton truck the bills were over $500,000. It's pretty much impossible to reconcile the bills you receive, but I think extraordinarily good medical care has saved my wife's life on 3 occasions when emergency critical care was required.
We've received excellent care but the finance part is unfathomable.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 10-06-2019 at 03:27 PM.

post #24 of 72 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Could those same people go to Canada, the UK, France or Germany to " Game" the system? Or is it just the U.S. laws that make it more possible?
I don't know about Canada or the UK. But I believe you need proof of health insurance to get a visa for Germany and France. As an Aussie, you may have benefited from a visa waiver scheme or something and not be subject to that.
post #25 of 72 Old 10-06-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Our chief executive thinks the Central American immigrants read the daily paper on their pads. Believes this this will decrease immigration. The impact on cruising sailors is unintentional blowby. Unfortunately you arenít a sufficient economic driver to be meaningful in the big picture so donít expect this to change anything.
Would however note behavior both I and my wife have experienced for decades now. A person is diagnosed with an illness requiring expensive care. They fly to the US and upon getting off the plane ďsuddenly ď have an acute flair. Given any hospital or physician who takes Medicare/Medicaid is required by law to treat whoever walks through the door in acute need and at least stabilize them while making fiscal arrangements for continued care so these people get admitted. You canít discharge them until itís safe to do so. My wife worked in a neonatal unit. These people and their new offspring would cost tens of thousands of dollars per individual per day. I would see similar behavior in my field. The whole thing snowballs as the primary caregiver isnít able to work so subsidies follow including to the rest of the family unit that travelled in with the individual who needed care. Typically it isnít an uneducated indigent population but rather middle class or upper middle class working this scenario. Theyíre rules to prevent women near the end of term from getting on a plane to visit the US. They are impossible to follow.
Once the index case is cured, or pregnancy delivered and child no longer requires expensive neonatal care they leave back to their home country. Our tax payer dollars and scarce icu beds are used to continue this behavior. In short we are being ďgamedĒ. It does cost us significant money. Itís an intelligent way to behave if youíre a sick foreigner and canít get services in your home country.
This rule change is a clumsy fix to a real problem. As usual heís playing to his crowd not doing the heavy lifting to really address the issue intelligently.
I think you really hit on a point I have been making for 3 years now, there are a lot of tough things we need to do in this country and he is blowing the best change we will see in our lifetime to change the way things are done in this country. This guy can't get out of his own way, damaging foreign relations for generations and the obvious mobster mentality. Sorry if my comments should be in the new Politics forum. but there are some things that need to change.
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.
post #26 of 72 Old 10-06-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I don't know about Canada or the UK. But I believe you need proof of health insurance to get a visa for Germany and France. As an Aussie, you may have benefited from a visa waiver scheme or something and not be subject to that.
Iím not sure if you need proof of healthcare insurance to enter Canada (Iím a Canadian, so never had to check), but I can tell you categorically that visitors will be charged for the healthcare services they receive here. And no, we ainít cheap, nor are we the best.

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/cashc...ookieSupport=1
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

No need for medical insurance or proof of funds for visitor's visa to Canada, at least not when invited by a Canadian resident with income.
post #28 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Iím not sure if you need proof of healthcare insurance to enter Canada (Iím a Canadian, so never had to check), but I can tell you categorically that visitors will be charged for the healthcare services they receive here. And no, we ainít cheap, nor are we the best.

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/cashc...ookieSupport=1
No need of any kind of proof of insurance.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #29 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
........Sorry if my comments should be in the new Politics forum. but there are some things that need to change.
You knew it, but couldnt resist.
This stuff just creates more division on a forum that is supposedly about shared interest in sailing related issues.
The benefit here is....zero.
post #30 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
No need of any kind of proof of insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
No need for medical insurance or proof of funds for visitor's visa to Canada, at least not when invited by a Canadian resident with income.
Thanks Ö I thought not.

I assume most countries with socialized medical insurance systems (in other words, most developed jurisdictions) would continue to cover their citizens while visiting other countries. I say ďmostĒ because of course my province of Ontario is set to end this kind of coverage by the new year.

It used to be that Ontario would cover its citizens up to certain limits (generally what it would have cost to have the procedure at home). Of course this is still pretty useless when wracked up against typical American healthcare costs, which is why I would never travel to the USA without supplemental private health coverage. And now thanks to the new conservative government here in Ontario, Iíll have no choice.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in