Visas to USA new Medical Insurance requirements 2019 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 10-05-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Visas to USA new Medical Insurance requirements 2019

The US government has announce a new requirement to make all people entering the USA in visas have medical insurance.

To come in by boat you need a B1B2 visa so now you will need to show intention to buy insurance or the ability to self-insure.

Problem is that all travel insurance to the USA I found excludes 2 causes: Heart attacks and cancers. I guess as they say the underlying causes are pre-existing.

And what else do you really need insurance for?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...alth-insurance

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

Re: Visas to USA new Medical Insurance requirements 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The US government has announce a new requirement to make all people entering the USA in visas have medical insurance.

To come in by boat you need a B1B2 visa so now you will need to show intention to buy insurance or the ability to self-insure.

Problem is that all travel insurance to the USA I found excludes 2 causes: Heart attacks and cancers. I guess as they say the underlying causes are pre-existing.

And what else do you really need insurance for?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...alth-insurance

I guess the solution is simple, simply don't go.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #3 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

Our chief executive thinks the Central American immigrants read the daily paper on their pads. Believes this this will decrease immigration. The impact on cruising sailors is unintentional blowby. Unfortunately you aren’t a sufficient economic driver to be meaningful in the big picture so don’t expect this to change anything.
Would however note behavior both I and my wife have experienced for decades now. A person is diagnosed with an illness requiring expensive care. They fly to the US and upon getting off the plane “suddenly “ have an acute flair. Given any hospital or physician who takes Medicare/Medicaid is required by law to treat whoever walks through the door in acute need and at least stabilize them while making fiscal arrangements for continued care so these people get admitted. You can’t discharge them until it’s safe to do so. My wife worked in a neonatal unit. These people and their new offspring would cost tens of thousands of dollars per individual per day. I would see similar behavior in my field. The whole thing snowballs as the primary caregiver isn’t able to work so subsidies follow including to the rest of the family unit that travelled in with the individual who needed care. Typically it isn’t an uneducated indigent population but rather middle class or upper middle class working this scenario. They’re rules to prevent women near the end of term from getting on a plane to visit the US. They are impossible to follow.
Once the index case is cured, or pregnancy delivered and child no longer requires expensive neonatal care they leave back to their home country. Our tax payer dollars and scarce icu beds are used to continue this behavior. In short we are being “gamed”. It does cost us significant money. It’s an intelligent way to behave if you’re a sick foreigner and can’t get services in your home country.
This rule change is a clumsy fix to a real problem. As usual he’s playing to his crowd not doing the heavy lifting to really address the issue intelligently.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

Would suggest the less flashy fix would be to generate a bill for the totality of the event including both medical care and the various housing and living expense subsidies. Present that bill to the home country. If they are already receiving US aid subtract those expenses from the aid. That would place the burden of preventing those events on the home country not having US citizens having to deal with the consequences.
Such events are rare with illegal immigrants as they must endure honorific conditions to get here. So the ill are more unlikely to start their journey and if commenced less likely to survive it. Rather in my experience these people have had the funds to get here via plane so are traveling in accordance to law on tourist visas.
Minnesail likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 72 Old 10-05-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
How interesting as they don't require us citizens to have health insurance.

Sounds like a way to keep the foreign boat scum away

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

How can it be that sick people with means from other countries come here for care. I thought everyone had universal heath care and better outcomes except the U.S.
post #7 of 72 Old 10-05-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
How can it be that sick people with means from other countries come here for care. I thought everyone had universal heath care and better outcomes except the U.S.
American population health outcomes are ‘fair to middlin’. Not the worst, but generally not the best.
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

Mideast and Africa with a few from SE Asia seem to be the sources we’ve seen. Rich get services at home or elsewhere. As said seems to be a mostly middle class group.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 10-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #9 of 72 Old 10-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Mideast and Africa with a few from SE Asia seem to be the sources we’ve seen. Rich get services at home or elsewhere. As said seems to be a mostly middle class group.

Could those same people go to Canada, the UK, France or Germany to " Game" the system? Or is it just the U.S. laws that make it more possible?
post #10 of 72 Old 10-05-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

I doubt cruisers sail a the way to the US to game the system.

It will just cost us a few extra thousand dollars for insurance that's worthless as it doesn't cover MI, cancer or the leading causes of acute care needed for cruising age folks.

I totally agree with it as a requirement to enter any country on vacation.... It's just the exclusions make it a BS.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in