Repowering - Newer engine models - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Re: Repowering - Newer engine models

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBob View Post

I'm looking for something in the 50 HP range, so my options are slightly different.

Personally, I think I'm going to wind up with a naturally aspirated Yanmar, I really like the Beta, but in my case length is critical, and the BETA is about 4 inches longer..... and I need that 4 Inches.

I tend to shy away from Turbo Chargers, it's just an added bit that is extremely expensive, and tends to fail. ( at least I've been reading some stories about the Yanmar Turbo Charger being a major issue )

Hope you find something in all this you can use.

L8tr
Yea, the turbo is the only thing pushing me away from the Yanmar.. It's not that I don't think I'll run it hard enough and take care of it but it's an issue. I may just bite the bullet and get the Perkins. /:

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Just trying to get some info on these new engines and experience with them. Most people buying engines are in the 55hp and lower range so no turbo Yanmars and the older Perkins.

post #13 of 16 Old 04-21-2014

Our yacht club has two launches powered by Yanmar turbo-charged diesels. Not sure of the model(s), but the reliability of the turbos has been a non-issue. These engines get a LOT of use. One engine did have to get replaced after 20+ years of service and MANY thousands of hours, but it wasn't a turbo issue that caused that.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 04-21-2014 at 06:11 PM.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Thanks for the Yanmar vote, but have you used or heard anything about the new 4HJ4?
Had this engine in my last boat...other than the builder installing it with all the "service" points on the other side, it was a dream engine.

One of the best out there in my opinion. No issues and parts are very available almost anywhere.

Would be my first choice,
post #15 of 16 Old 04-21-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Low pressure, would the Yanmar be considered low pressure? I can't find any numbers on turbo pressure..

Who makes a IDI engine? Yanmar, Perkins, and cummins are all direct injection engines... Why is that a disaster? You get the best fuel economy that way.

The BT4 cummins is common rail now? Didn't realize that.
Kubota is IDI, AKA beta marine

Why do you want IDI is simple. Because with an IDI the injectors are far less sensitive to impurities in the fuel. They are also less sensitive to air in the fuel. You may actually cook off an entire set of direct injection injectors and the pump if you have run too much air thru them.

I am actually an expert on this. With college education, and 15 years experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQLdX6R0Uc4

A DI system is ultra high pressure. Pumps and injectors will not last as long.
With the nasty dock fuel we can get, and the water content, Its not a good idea on the water. Also keep in mind these DI engines can shut down if a sensor goes bad. They are sensitive.
Play this scenario in your mind. Your coming in to the dock, in adverse docking conditions. The crank sensor goes out. The engine shuts down. I hope your insurance is paid up.

No idea if the yanmar is low pressure or not. But turbos have come a long way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBob View Post

Yanmar Turbos at around 3- 400 bucks? You should stock up on those.
yanmar, honda, kubota, all use common chargers. There are only so many companies that make them.
Turbocharger Turbo Polaris Ranger Diesel 904 Yanmar | eBay
If you gave me the information I could find the replacement cartridge for your unit. Thats the only part that you need to replace. The housing can be reused in 90% of the applications.

Like I said. the life on a charger is very good. As a mater of maintenance on a yacht that crosses oceans I would replace the charger at 2500-3000 hours.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in