Bukh DV20 Head Surfacing and Packing Grooves - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 12-06-2014 Thread Starter

Bukh DV20 Head Surfacing and Packing Grooves

I recently removed the head off my Bukh DV20 due to issues experienced with excessive steaming and loss of power to discover what appeared to be a small water leak in the rear cylinder head gasket.

I have had the head rebuilt and purchased a ridiculously expensive Bukh head gasket (a thin sheet of graphite with no copper rings for the cylinders or water jacket). The company that re-built head cannot believe the head will ever hold pressure or seal the water jacket with the gasket supplied!

The service manual indicates if the head is resurfaced, packing grooves are required to be re-cut into the head. When the head was removed no packing rings were evident and the local agents indicated none were required, however another Bukh agent informed me they were critical.

Can anyone advise if the packing grooves are required?
Attached Thumbnails
Service Maual Packing Grooves.jpg   Bukh Head Gasket 1.jpg  

Last edited by mclare; 12-06-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in