Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-27-2014 Thread Starter
Glad I found Sailnet
 
Bene505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,842
Thanks: 15
Thanked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Sad to say our transmission no longer works in forward gear. Yes, I checked the linkages. I even disconnected the linkage and shifted it into gear right at the transmission. It happened immediately after some aggressive shifting to maneuver to a dock in a high wind.

Does anyone know the best place to get it rebuilt?

We are currently in New York. I called Transatlantic Diesel but they don't do transmissions.

Regards,
Brad

.
.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
.
Bene505 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-28-2014
Senior Member
 
RichH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 54
Thanked 326 Times in 310 Posts
Rep Power: 21
   
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

I would HIGHLY recommend: East Coast Marine Transmission
Located in South Amboy NJ, just off the Raritan Bay.
This fellow is a true mechanical 'artist' and was the lead transmission mechanic at MackBoring Co. for about 25-30 years before they stopped/ceased rebuild and repair work on Diesels and Transmissions. MackBoring also HIGHLY recommends him. My experience (a stint in the engineering and design and application of large traction drive gear reduction units) is this fellow has incredible 'feel' in his finger tips with (epicyclic) gear lash and clearances - a real 'craftsman', not a parts replacement hack.
His customer base includes most of the independent Yanmar Distributers in the New England and MidAtlantic area.

Last edited by RichH; 12-28-2014 at 10:01 AM.
RichH is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-28-2014 Thread Starter
Glad I found Sailnet
 
Bene505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,842
Thanks: 15
Thanked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Thanks Rich,

I emailed them and will call them this week.

Regards,
Brad

.
.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
.
Bene505 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 12-28-2014
Senior Member
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 19,488
Thanks: 160
Thanked 587 Times in 558 Posts
Rep Power: 16
     
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

FWIW elsewhere recently someone stated the cost of a new replacement was $200 more than a rebuild.. Have you checked that 'angle' out yet? (could be, though, that such a skilled rebuild may be better than new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable' We're currently into year 11 or 12 (~1400 hrs) on ours (replaced by the PO).. some 'new' noises but still driving well.

On a previous boat we ran 12 years on same gear while we had it, no idea how old or new it was, but the next owner had to change it out almost immediately. Odds are this item will be on our list soon

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Faster is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-28-2014
Senior Member
 
RichH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 54
Thanked 326 Times in 310 Posts
Rep Power: 21
   
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
an new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable'
Not only with the recent 'crop' of marine transmissions; but, also the same with automotive transmissions and differentials .... no longer use 'hardened' gears, etc. and simply depend on actuarial statistics of failure mode - a dependence on statistical accounting functions rather than any possibility of 'over engineering' to assure long term service life.
Too damn bad if the geared device you own happens to be an 'outlier' of that statistical range.
RichH is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-31-2014
Junior Member
 
CaptNemoO2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I had mine rebuilt at LI Marine Engine and Trans in Deer Park. It's most likely the clutch pack that went bad. Mine did the same, but reverse went while docking. If I remember correctly it was around $1500. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission my self. The guy was really nice, but he told me the parts are getting hard to find. He was told that they stopped making the transmission around 1990. It was already obsolete when installed in my 93. Is yours the 360 or 360A? There is a ZF transmisson, I believe the 63, that is almost a direct fit. It is a little shorter than the 360A, same angle. To fit it into my boat, I would of had to shim the engine a little higher, less than .25" and use a drive saver to make up the difference in length. If you have the 360 (straight output flange) you may be good to go.

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... http://www.merequipment.com/products...60a-parts.aspx

Last edited by CaptNemoO2; 12-31-2014 at 05:08 PM.
CaptNemoO2 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-31-2014 Thread Starter
Glad I found Sailnet
 
Bene505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,842
Thanks: 15
Thanked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
I had mine rebuilt at LI Marine Engine and Trans in Deer Park. It's most likely the clutch pack that went bad. Mine did the same, but reverse went while docking. If I remember correctly it was around $1500. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission my self. The guy was really nice, but he told me the parts are getting hard to find. He was told that they stopped making the transmission around 1990. It was already obsolete when installed in my 93. Is yours the 360 or 360A? There is a ZF transmisson, I believe the 63, that is almost a direct fit. It is a little shorter than the 360A, same angle. To fit it into my boat, I would of had to shim the engine a little higher, less than .25" and use a drive saver to make up the difference in length. If you have the 360 (straight output flange) you may be good to go.

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... Marine Transmission Parts, Clutch and Seal Kits, Gaskets and Marine Transmission Service Manuals
Thanks for the post. Yes, it is a 360 with a straight output flange.

I'll look into the ZF63.

Regards,
Brad

.
.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
.
Bene505 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-01-2015
Junior Member
 
CaptNemoO2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
I had mine rebuilt at LI Marine Engine and Trans in Deer Park. It's most likely the clutch pack that went bad. Mine did the same, but reverse went while docking. If I remember correctly it was around $1500. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission my self. The guy was really nice, but he told me the parts are getting hard to find. He was told that they stopped making the transmission around 1990. It was already obsolete when installed in my 93. Is yours the 360 or 360A? There is a ZF transmisson, I believe the 63, that is almost a direct fit. It is a little shorter than the 360A, same angle. To fit it into my boat, I would of had to shim the engine a little higher, less than .25" and use a drive saver to make up the difference in length. If you have the 360 (straight output flange) you may be good to go.

Edit: Found this link that has the parts to give you an idea of the cost... Marine Transmission Parts, Clutch and Seal Kits, Gaskets and Marine Transmission Service Manuals
Thanks for the post. Yes, it is a 360 with a straight output flange.

I'll look into the ZF63.

Regards,
Brad

Good luck! When I looked into it, I believe that the transmission was $2400, and was way overkill for the application. In the end I decided to have the transmission rebuilt and saved $1000. I figured the tranny went 20 years and 1600 hours, if I can get another 1600 hours out of it, I'll be ok! Now if I was doing some serious cruising, I would consider getting a new tranny that isn't past it's EOL on the production line. But because I had a down angle tranny, I was in a unique situation where I had to match the angle, flange height and distance. Being that you have a straight output, you can probably find several transmissions that will work. Your shaft would either move aft, or forward assuming you have room, or use a drive saver to make up the difference. There's always the Borg Warner velvet drives. And there were two lesser known transmission companies that had similar products, but I don't remember their names, but did find them through message boards. The hurth had a standard SAE bellhousing mount, I think it was SAE 3. Going with a non hurth may require changing out the damper plate.

BTW, where in NY are you?

Last edited by CaptNemoO2; 01-01-2015 at 12:43 PM.
CaptNemoO2 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2015
Junior Member
 
aeventyr60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indian Ocean
Posts: 3,506
Thanks: 36
Thanked 122 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
FWIW elsewhere recently someone stated the cost of a new replacement was $200 more than a rebuild.. Have you checked that 'angle' out yet? (could be, though, that such a skilled rebuild may be better than new??)

Years ago I was told by a Hurth dealer that these gears were essentially considered 'disposable' We're currently into year 11 or 12 (~1400 hrs) on ours (replaced by the PO).. some 'new' noises but still driving well.

On a previous boat we ran 12 years on same gear while we had it, no idea how old or new it was, but the next owner had to change it out almost immediately. Odds are this item will be on our list soon

Keep the faith on that Hurth tranny. I got 4300 hours and 19 years out of this one before having it rebuilt last year in Thailand. The seals went, lost fluid and then the noise. Part were readily available here, and the one part that wasn't available they were able to machine a new one.
Parts were about $350. Labor to pull and re install the tranny plus redo the rear main seal on the Perkins 4108 was $200. All done while on the hook.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
aeventyr60 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2015
Old enough to know better
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 4,325
Thanks: 28
Thanked 187 Times in 182 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Where to our get our Hurth HBW-360 rebuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Keep the faith on that Hurth tranny. I got 4300 hours and 19 years out of this one before having it rebuilt last year in Thailand. The seals went, lost fluid and then the noise. Part were readily available here, and the one part that wasn't available they were able to machine a new one.
Parts were about $350. Labor to pull and re install the tranny plus redo the rear main seal on the Perkins 4108 was $200. All done while on the hook.
Gotta love that labor rate! I think $200 around here gets about 15 minutes of work! might almost be worth sailing to Thailand
Faster likes this.
miatapaul is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurth HBW-5 Transmission KVK Diesel 16 01-28-2016 08:19 PM
Hurth HBW-5 won't shift mwielicki Gear & Maintenance 1 04-16-2010 11:55 PM
Hurth HBW 50 Core Value? Pub911 Gear & Maintenance 3 02-08-2009 09:16 PM
Hurth HBW 50 vs. ZF-5, ZF-6 or ZF-10 Pub911 Gear & Maintenance 2 02-03-2009 07:44 AM
Flushing Hurth HBW transmission lindafirpo General Discussion (sailing related) 1 06-16-2008 10:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome