Yanmar Dampner Plate (Flex Plate) problem - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2015 Thread Starter

Yanmar Dampner Plate (Flex Plate) problem

Hi Sailors, I've got a Yanmar 3YM30 with 650 hours and I am getting a rattle at idle and up to about 1400 RPMs. It happens in neutral mainly and goes away if I increase idle in neutral or in gear. I can still shift smoothly into gear and there's no abrupt knock when I do it.

I am trying to figure out if my Dampner plate is going bad or if it's just a mount. At 1000 RPMs in neutral, the click, click, rattle noise does sound like it's stemming from the bell housing, and when at the dock you can hear it outside the boat on both port and starboard sides equally.

I am hoping it's not the dampner as I just relaunched after a big haul out and paint. Plus hoping not to have to pull shaft and trans to switch this out now - probably can't be done in the water too easily as max prop will have to be removed.

Does anyone have experience with how soon you should change the flex plate in the bell housing when you start getting some rattle - if I continue to use occasionally and it goes, will it break the transmission, driveshaft and/or bellhousing completely.

Seems a little early (650hours) for the plate to be failing. Any experience with this greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2015

Re: Yanmar Dampner Plate (Flex Plate) problem

I've had them fail that soon. I think idling in neutral is tough on their life, maybe? What you describe hearing is very likely just that. Starts with a little ding sound...get worse. Bummer your engine is tough to remove....but you really have to haul and remove the prop? Cannot you just undo the four coupling bolts, the four mount studs, and a few other little things (heh!) and lift the whole mess out?

I have run for some time with the worn plate. But no noisy idling, just powered up quiet motoring. The rubber bits go first, then the springs start eating into the disks, falling apart, the whole thing destroys itself.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Aloof! I am going to see if it can be done in water first. Problem is I've got a v-drive and cramped working conditions on the Pearson 323. With a skeg hung rudder I'd estimate I've got about 6-8 inches before prop hits skeg to work with.

So it may be too tricky to disconnect coupling and slide shaft back enough. Would hope pulling the engine wouldn't be necessary for such a semi-routine part. Will go ahead and do the engine mounts while I am at it. I figure I could run a bit like this, I never leave it in idle (800 RPMs) as the Yanmars just shake so much, so I am always idling at 1200, sounds better that way!

So, I am guessing once it's too hard to shift into gear, and you get a loud abrupt knock when doing it, that would be the last straw and time to replace???

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2015

I don't think it affects shifting much. It does probably wear out the transmission if not running smooth and quiet.

Yeah, the V-drive is a problem with the shaft. I remember that from the previous boat. I'd remove the prop and shaft in the water, or have a diver do it. I'm okay with the resulting leaky hole, if necessary, but can understand some people are not so brave/foolish...

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell

Tags
dampner plate , engine mounts , flex plate , rattle

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in