Yanmar 1GM10 Mysterious Death/Failure - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter

Yanmar 1GM10 Mysterious Death/Failure

Whilst motoring out of the river a couple of days ago, engine was running fine. Just as I reached the end of the river, revs dropped and a few seconds later the engine died. My first thought was fuel, so after anchoring out of the channel I took a look. Sure enough, there was a layer of water at the bottom of the fuel tank so there was no diesel getting to the engine. I have emptied this out, and attempted to flush the system through by bleeding from the on-engine filter. Fresh diesel now comes out the top of the on-engine filter, and out of the next bleed point (the end of the pipe leading from the filter to the fuel pump/throttle housing?). No fuel comes out of either side of the injector, no matter how much I pump the little fuel pump lever.
Would this indicate some sort of breakage/failure/blockage in the throttle/fuel supply housing?

Secondly, when cranking the engine there is no evident "puff" from the exhaust. If the engine isn't firing, would you still expect to feel some sort of output? Maybe a stuck valve?

When the engine is cranked, it doesn't sound quite right to me, but that could just be me. Scratching my head with this one!

UPDATE: For anyone who searches and has a similar problem, check the retaining nut on the valves as in my case it had come completely loose. Ensure it's tightened to the recommended torque as given in the workshop manual of 54Nm or so.

Last edited by lorddevereux; 11-30-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-24-2015

Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Mysterious Death/Failure

We have the same fuel system , but we have a 2qm Yanmar . When bleeding at the injector try not using the manual lift pump , but crank the electric starter instead . I hope that works .
post #3 of 19 Old 08-24-2015

Well, if you've been cranking a while the exhaust is now full of water and may be ready to fill the cylinders. At least you will know where the water came from. The water in the tank is another question. No puff? Probably no injection! Crack the high pressure line at the injector and crank a bit until fuel flows. Remember the water in the muffler. If this has been a long time affaire with water/fuel, the injector tips may be A F'd U. Take injector out ,turn it around and reconnect to the line. Observe the spray pattern. If not even,or dribbles, put in your spares and rebuild.
deltaten likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-24-2015

the fuel lift pump lever will not pump fuel thru the fuel injection pump, only up to the injection pump. The injection pump needs about 2 turns of the engine to put out one very small drop of fuel. you will need to remove the line going to the injector, turn over the engine until fuel not water comes out the injector pump, easy on the starter motor and do this with the compression release open. blow out the line and blow out the injection nozzle. now that you have seen how little fuel is pumped out the injection pump you will see how long it will take to get fuel up the line to the injection nozzle. on some boats the cooling water can fill the exhaust if cranked to much before starting. you can crank it with the raw off until it starts. on a 1GM10 the injector rebuild parts will cost you almost as much as a new injector. you will save $20 and worth the hassle.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 08-24-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter

I didn't realise that it didn't pump all the way through, but that makes sense, I will try that next.

I have been doing all of this cranking with the seacock closed and exhaust hose disconnected. This is how I noticed that nothing seemed to be coming out of the exhaust (not even air pressure). Would this point to a busted valve? If so, if I took off the valve cover what would I be looking for?
post #6 of 19 Old 08-24-2015

Before I started to take things apart, I'd give it a wee shot of ether. If it pops it's still likely a fuel problem. Assume you close the de compress?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks all. Opening the decompress lever makes it sound different, so some of the valves are working! I'll give it a squirt once I've bled the fuel pump through and hope for the best!
post #8 of 19 Old 08-24-2015

ether should not be used on diesel engines

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 19 Old 08-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
ether should not be used on diesel engines
ether is bad news when used on diesel engines with automatic glow plugs which come on when the key is turned on. Glow plugs will cause immediate, improperly timed ignition of the ether which can do a huge amount of expensive damage to your motor. As long as you don't have hot glow plugs (automatic or manual), a little ether may be used with caution.
bljones likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter

1GM10 doesn't have glow plugs, don't I wish it did. I've always used WD-40.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in