post #21 of 31 Old 09-09-2015
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Shaft Coupling Stuck to Transmission Flange

That is just nutz!

Wishing you a swift recovery.

;-)

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 09-09-2015

That's the problem with production knobs. They just don't build 'em like they used to. 'Better give the jewels a rest for a while . How about a thin SS strap ,(about 4 inches wide)U shaped with eye ring on one leg. Open door, slip over edge, close door.most doors have enough clearance. Be sure the door opens away or the lacerations could be severe when someone comes thru.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-09-2015

I know I'm coming in a bit late here but I've attached a couple of photos of the coupler you have that might help visualize what you are dealing with. Mine is attached to the Hurth transmission on my 5416 engine.

As you can see on the transmission side there is a kind of cross arrangement that the bolts pass through. on the blue coupler you can see a circular lip, that engages the inside of the "pads" on the end of the cross arms. That is a pretty tight fit if I remember right, even without it being rusted solid. I think I just used a thin metal wedge tapped in between the flange and each of the cross piece arms to separate them.

Don't use heat on this coupler unless you are prepared to replace it. The big bolts on the outside pass through rubber bushes that will be ruined by heating.

HTH
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
image_1441856202878.jpg   image_1441856301931.jpg  
Faster likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericirvine For This Useful Post:
brownoarsman (09-18-2015)

post #24 of 31 Old 09-10-2015

Good info Eric.. I suspect you've nailed the issue. Once the oarsman isn't walking bowlegged that should help him out.. the power of the wedge may well be the trick.

Oarsman.. I'm happy to say I don't 'feel your pain'... but you have my sympathies and thanks for sharing..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #25 of 31 Old 09-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
the power of the wedge may well be the trick.
Thats all he needs now is the power of the wedgie

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #26 of 31 Old 09-10-2015
Old salt, new2me boat

The answer seems so obvious... attach the PT exercise band to the coupling! But be prepared to jump!
post #27 of 31 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips and humor! They certainly brought a smile. I'm well on the road to recovery, and should be able to get back on the boat after another week or two.

Eric - those pics are super helpful, and, though your arrangement is much cleaner, looks like mine! Do the cross arms grip that coupler lip at all? Or do they just sort of rest on it. Back when I was in the laz working on it, I tried putting my thin pry (actually, a thin steel putty knife) in between the coupler and the flange arm and giving the pry some light taps, but couldn't get the wedge into the seam - I assume because of the corrosion. Did you have a similar experience? Just wondering what you meant by the lip engaging the cross arms of the flange. Thanks!
post #28 of 31 Old 09-18-2015

Just guessing here but thinking that the cross arms are centered in the unit by the lip. Methinks a bit of engish on the handle of a big screwdriver could set things moving.
post #29 of 31 Old 09-19-2015

The arms don't look very strong and probably bent pretty easy so be very careful. A disc shaped coupler would be a lot stronger, but all the smaller Hurths and maybe the big ones too use this type. Mines never gotten stuck so bad the a very light tap didn't break it loose.
post #30 of 31 Old 09-19-2015

Oarsman,

Great to hear you are on the mend, and thanks for sharing your adventure with the doorknob. It took me while to get off the floor when I read it, before trying to give a serious answer to your engine problem. Glad you could see the humor in spite of the pain ?

To your questions, the inside lip on each of the four cross arms has been machined to match the outside of the circular lip on the coupler. It's a tight fit. On the photo of the coupler you can see the shiny spots where the cross arms meet the coupler face and lip.

I have a very thin wedge that is about 5 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide and tapers from about 3/8 inch down to almost zero. It's made of hardened steel, my old journeyman gave me it when I was an apprentice about 30 years ago. He called it a "fox wedge", and it has saved my bacon on a few occasions over the years. So it's much thinner than a screwdriver tip, and the taper is very gradual. It would be easy to make one with a bit of steel bar and a bench grinder. I tapped it in to each of the 4 meeting points in turn, a little at a time. I soaked them in PB Blaster beforehand.

Get well soon
Eric

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in