Shaft Coupling Stuck to Transmission Flange - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

Shaft Coupling Stuck to Transmission Flange

I'm in the middle of removing my universal 5411 engine mated to a hurth transmission, and have a pressing (ha-pun!) question before I lose the community dock to the Labor Day weekend. Everything is off the engine - except that the prop shaft and its coupling are still connected to the transmission flange, even though I've removed the four bolts connecting the coupling to the transmission flange. The packing nut is all the way loose and leaking water when I wriggle the engine (the shaft is moving because it's still somehow connected to the transmission), but I can't push the prop shaft coupling and shaft back from the transmission, or move the engine forward with the two still locked together. Knowing that transmissions are surprisingly fragile and unsurprisingly expensive, I don't want to force anything. The eight hours of internet searching all make this seem easy (e.g. remove four bolts, loosen the packing nut, and slide it on back!), with the issues arrising when people need to remove the coupling from the shaft - but this is not my problem. I want to leave the coupling attached to the shaft, but just remove the coupling from the transmission so I can lift the engine to take the head off.

Here is a picture of the coupling and transmission connection, I've removed the four bolts shown in the picture already:

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Re: Shaft Coupling Stuck to Transmission Flange

Looks like an old 'drive saver' coupling.. could it be there are bolts on the transmission side too? Also many couplings have 'blind' threaded holes that can be used with bolts to separate the two halves.. maybe have a look for that too.

Also... maybe you're trying to separate the wrong parts??

RichH likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-03-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

Here is a link to the transmission schematic as well: http://www.catalina30.com/TechLib/En...5411_PARTS.pdf The transmission flange is shown in section 26. Thanks!

post #4 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Here is a link to the transmission schematic as well: http://www.catalina30.com/TechLib/En...5411_PARTS.pdf The transmission flange is shown in section 26. Thanks!
Yes, but the 'fat' part of your coupling, indeed the coupling itself regardless of type, is not part of the transmission. The gearbox drawings end at the output flange, to which the coupling connects.

I agree your shaft should disengage based on removing the 4 bolts, but I don't think the entire coupling body will. Though it looks a bit different from the one in my posted picture, it still looks like a 2-part drive saver - meant to minimize vibration due to slight misalignment.

I can see nuts on the tranny side of the output flange.. if you can get those off the entire thing could separate from the tranny flange.. allowing you remove the engine/gear.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #5 of 31 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts Faster! It's certainly a weird looking thing and doesn't resemble any of the couplings I've seen on other threads and blogs. Sadly, both faces of the coupling are smooth, so I don't think blind holes exist, and I can't see any other ways of fixing the shaft in place, except for maybe those big screws mounted in rubber that are just barely visible in the above picture on the sides of the coupling. The four bolts shown match up to the transmission diagram in the parts manual (sorry I didn't upload it before - very slow computer).

I thought maybe the shaft was threaded and somehow locked into the transmission, but I can't get the shaft and the transmission to turn independently either.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

I had a 5411 on my previous boat and my coupling looked nothing like your picture. Mine had the "four arm" coupling at the transmission as shown in the Universal manual. Four bolts would disconnect the shaft coupling from the propeller shaft. Yours looks pretty corroded and I'm sure that's part of the problem.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

that is a federal flex coupling it has set screws that hold the shaft to the inner part and the big nuts hold the inner hub in the outer ring. there should be flange on the trans that bolts to the outer ring.
Marine Transmissions, Velvet Drive, Paragon, marine transmission parts,
Faster and oldfurr like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
brownoarsman (09-03-2015)
post #8 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
that is a federal flex coupling it has set screws that hold the shaft to the inner part and the big nuts hold the inner hub in the outer ring. there should be flange on the trans that bolts to the outer ring.
Marine Transmissions, Velvet Drive, Paragon, marine transmission parts,
Well done, OB!

This should help the OP quite a bit.

Ron

post #9 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Well done, OB!

This should help the OP quite a bit.
Thanks, I somehow remembered the name. I removed one from our PC sloop way back when I was kid.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Slightly clearer, cleaner drawings:

http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/...1843016797.pdf

It does look, now, however, that the entire coupling assembly SHOULD disengage from the tranny's output flange if the 4 bolts are out.. so it's gotta be corrosion holding things up or (thinking externally) if a shaft zinc is too near the strut the prop shaft won't slide out either...

Hope all this helps you out a bit, brownoarsman!

Ron

The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
brownoarsman (09-03-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in