PSS Shaft Seal Leaking Red Liquid - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

PSS Shaft Seal Leaking Red Liquid

So I recently noticed that whenever I bring the engine rpm's up to about 2800 or above, the shaft seal starts spraying water all around the engine compartment. Earlier this year, I started losing coolant through the overflow hose into the engine bilge. I got a new coolant cap and installed an overflow - which appeared to solve that problem.

But, maybe not. The shaft seal hose runs from the seal to the back of the heat exchanger where its supposed to draw water. But its clearly drawing water and coolant. I don't know heat exchangers that well and am wondering whether I have a leak that has created both problems.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2015

Re: PSS Shaft Seal Leaking Red Liquid

leaking heat exchange between engine and raw will cause antifreeze in the cooling side at higher rpm because pump pressure increases and blows out the shaft seal because the cooling water can't easily get past the plugged injection fitting on the exhaust riser. Left to it self, you will get salt in the antifreeze because it can go both way (May have been the original symptom )and water in the bilge if the outer shaft seal fails next. Checking the H EX zincs and riser system can easily be left until until . As an after thought, transmission oil is red. Give it a taste taste

Last edited by Capt Len; 09-16-2015 at 03:08 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2015

I don't know about the shaft seal part of the problem but the first problem I am fairly sure that you have a leak in your heat exchanger...I had the same problem this summer...first coolant came out of the overflow tank... then the coolant level was low so I topped it up and the next trip it overflowed again...When motor was shut down the coolant water would drain out to outside water level and when running the raw water pump having more pressure salt water would be forced into system and out the overflow... A pressure test on the exchanger is the first place to start and see if that also fixes the shaft seal problem... Good luck...

Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...

post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2015

Unless your motoring at more than 12 kts the hose from the shaft seal should not be connected to a raw water supply. It should just be vented at least 2' above the water line.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Unless your motoring at more than 12 kts the hose from the shaft seal should not be connected to a raw water supply. It should just be vented at least 2' above the water line.
Jim
Yeah I read this on their website and wondered why the tech I emailed didn't pick up on it when I mentioned it in my email to him. I'm gonna disconnect it and at least that should stop the coolant from spraying out of the shaft seal. But I doubt it will fix a heat exchanger leak.

How do you get an HE pressure tested?
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2015

Take it to a radiator shop.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2015

When I talked to the PSS Tech about hooking the Shaft Seal hose to the mixing elbow he said it was fine as it would help clean out any debris in the shaft log. I top out at 6knts.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2015

The new pressure cap probably matched the pressure of your raw water pump ...so it isn't pushing raw water into your system...but I still think that you need a pressure test and that involves taking the exchanger out and to a rad repair shop...200 dollars fixed my problem...

Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in