small diesel maintenance course - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-07-2016 Thread Starter

small diesel maintenance course

I am looking for an online tutorial or course in small diesel engines. I have a 25 HP diesel in my sailboat and would like to be able to do the maintenance and repairs myself. Any suggestions out there?
Thanks,

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-07-2016
Cruiser

Re: small diesel maintenance course

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanurrea View Post
I am looking for an online tutorial or course in small diesel engines. I have a 25 HP diesel in my sailboat and would like to be able to do the maintenance and repairs myself. Any suggestions out there?
Thanks,

J
Hi J,

I don't have any online courses to suggest, but can highly recommend the following books:

Marine Diesel Engines Maintenance and Troubleshooting Guide by Nigel Calder [This is my go-to book for troubleshooting and maintenance...]

Diesels Afloat by Pat Manley [Best general overview and illustrations]

In case this is of interest.

Cheers!

Bill
SOLPHIAIR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wrwakefield; 01-07-2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Clarifications
post #3 of 31 Old 01-08-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Several sailing schools offer Marine Diesel courses in the off season (the school that I work for as an example)... Mack Boring also offers a course.

Where are you located? What brand of motor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 31 Old 01-08-2016

People rave about the Mack Boring courses. Way more intense than just oil changes, but the knowledge alone will pay itself back by multiples over the years. Just being able to diagnose a problem and source a part, could save hundreds of dollars, even if you had to pay someone to install it.
miatapaul and fallard like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-08-2016

Out here in Puget Sound our local university SeaGrant program runs diesel courses. Might google SeaGrant in your area, it's af federal program.

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
post #6 of 31 Old 01-08-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

As a female, I looked at my diesel engine as this ridiculously complicated beast that somehow needed to be fed and watered on a regular basis so that it would run when I told it to. I started with an oil change. Looked it up on YouTube. Then pulled the heat exhanger apart. Was in San Diego where the local Yanmar dealer could tell me things like "you know, there is an end piece like this" when I asked him how to clean the parts. Then replaced the belts, and the fuel filter and the oil filter. Got a little stumped and press for time when I needed to replace the secondary fuel filter so hired a giu to show me the ropes. THEN, about a year later, I took a class with a San Francisco Yanmar dealer and learned how to jump start my engine with a quarter if the starter ever shorts out....saved my bacon single handing one day months later. It was worth it's weight in gold to know stuff like that. The class also impressed upon me the importance of knowing how to bleed the engine. Also saved my arse one day. The moral of this diatribe is that the engine is pretty straight forward. Just start. On one thing. Then find another thing to work on. The book recommended above is also super to have.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-08-2016
landofrainandgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I took a class with a San Francisco Yanmar dealer and learned how to jump start my engine with a quarter if the starter ever shorts out
Please tell me about this--we had starter issues recently and this might have come in handy!

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
post #8 of 31 Old 01-09-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

OMG, what a cool trick to start your engine by bypassing the starter panel. I'very heard people have used screwdrivers to make this connection. Mine's a Yanmar 3GM30F and the starter motor and the solenoid (I think it is) are spaced just wide enough for a quarter to bridge the gap. It makes me jump to do it but a joy to get the engine to turn over rather than ask a friend to tow you back to the dock late on a Saturday after a race. A GREAT book to get is Peter Compton's Troubleshooting Marine Diesels. I highly, highly recommend it.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-09-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Oh, I did mean starter panel and not the starter itself. My engine does not have one of those cranks to get it to turn over by hand, but I think it can be done if you're really careful to get out of the way and not break an arm.....
post #10 of 31 Old 01-09-2016

If you can look at the end of the solenoid ,see big terminal from battery,small terminal from panel ,connect them with a conductor. Coin, tool,whatever too much messing can damage the threads but get you started. I usually have a short wire with aligator clips for trouble shooting, bleeding ect. Starting may require fuel solinoid energized or coil (gas engine) Hence the aligator clipsMost simple. If you can look at the end of the solenoid ,see big terminal from battery,small terminal from panel

Last edited by Capt Len; 01-09-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in