Cold starter.... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2016 Thread Starter

Cold starter....

Hello All, No big deal but, I was at the boat this am and it was about 40 degrees here in Cocoa, Florida. I was putzing around and remembered how the 3GM Yanmar, rebuilt, with 450 hrs on it was a cold starter last winter, so I tried to crank her up and sure 'nuff, she didn't want to start. Just give her a little throttle and after 3 or 4 attempts, she caught on 1 on 2 and quickly started running smoothly. No problem. Just wondered if this was normal for these little engines. Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2016

Re: Cold starter....

Do you pause for the glow plugs...We get so used to just going for start here in Florida...
Diesels do not like it cold...hence block heaters and glow plugs to get er' going!
I disconnect my glow plug relay in my diesel truck for the summer...thanks for the reminder!
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2016

No glow plugs on Yanmars.

FB, a Yanmar in good working order should start after just a few cranks. 40 degrees is not excessively cold. We sail year-round here in the PNW. I have no problem starting my 2GM20F in sub freezing temps. Yes, the colder the temp the longer the start time but I wouldn't say 40 deg is cold enough to have a significant effect. The problem likely lies in one of two areas. Compression or fuel distribution. Could be excess carbon buildup. Possibly bad spray pattern on injectors. Unlikely the injector pump. Could also be a pinhole in the fuel lines.

I would run it under load for a few hours. Actually drive the boat. Some owners will tie the boat to the dock and put it in gear this is bad for the engine. You should be running your diesel under load at least monthly. If, like a lot of sailors, you only run your engine to go to and from the dock, you could have a carbon issue.

After you run under load (80% of max RPM) for a few hours, tie the boat up and let the engine cool for a few days. Try again.

Do be careful with excessive cranking without the engine starting. You can hydrolock sieze your engine from seawater siphoning from the muffler through the exhaust elbow.

Have fun.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2016

I know my little Yanmar 1gm does not have a glow plug; I thought some larger models did.

Anyway, pretty common in my experience that non-glow plug Yanmars have to crank a bit to get going in colder temps, then run just fine. I know mine does. 40 is not excessively cold, but it is cold relative to 70 or 80, and at the lower end of the temp spectrum for the majority of sailboat/yanmar users. I've never worried about having to crank a bit longer, maybe 10-15 seconds, when temps are colder and the engine has not been started for awhile.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2016

Sorry for my assumption on 3GM...3YM has glow plugs.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2016

I run a small heater blowing into the engine compartment for 10-15 minutes if it is that cold and the 3gm30 fires right up.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Hello All, No big deal but, I was at the boat this am and it was about 40 degrees here in Cocoa, Florida. I was putzing around and remembered how the 3GM Yanmar, rebuilt, with 450 hrs on it was a cold starter last winter, so I tried to crank her up and sure 'nuff, she didn't want to start. Just give her a little throttle and after 3 or 4 attempts, she caught on 1 on 2 and quickly started running smoothly. No problem. Just wondered if this was normal for these little engines. Thanks, Kevin
This is what is to be expected for a 3GM after it has been inactive for some months, and of these years of age. In other words, is it really (and that means really) well maintained? If not, ok, this is what you get.

So you can take this as an indication of increasing maintenance somewhat. A small, very small, leak somewhere? Spreaders working fine? Batteries fresh? And the classical Yanmar issue of starting key? And so on!

It is an old engine. Parts have aged. Some should be replaced.

/J

PS: me too.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2016

Service manual recommends for cold starting a 3GM30F is to open the throttle fully..
post #9 of 14 Old 02-14-2016

My 3GM30F starts readily in warm weather, but when the temp gets down to 40 degrees it takes more fuel and more turns to fire up. I've had this boat for 20 years and it has always been this way (usually during Fall haulout time). During the summer it starts up with one revolution.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangupndrive View Post
Some owners will tie the boat to the dock and put it in gear this is bad for the engine.
Please explain why this is bad?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in