Yanmar 3YM20 Regular Service Cost? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2016 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Yanmar 3YM20 Regular Service Cost?

Hello,

Curious to know what a generally fair cost for doing regular maintenance on a very easy to access Yanmar 20CH Engine with 100hrs. That is:

- Oil replacement
- Filters replacement
- Belts, impeller, etc checks

I am not looking for the cheapest guy in town but I don't want to be gouge either. I have been quoted 2.5 hrs to 4.5 hrs of labor for this, 4.5hrs seems a lot....

Thanks.

T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2016

Re: Yanmar 3YM20 Regular Service Cost?

This doesn't really answer your question, but...

My knowledge of diesel engines is limited to knowing that they make some rumbling noises and can be used to propel the boat if the wind dies. But I am still able to do all the tasks you list fairly easily. I know that just having it done can be nice, but certainly things like changing the impeller and dealing with belts seems like something that you would want to be comfortable doing yourself in case they were ever a problem away from the dock.

To try to answer your question more directly, it doesn't take me 4.5 hours to change oil, filters, impeller and check belts and such.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

I would have to agree with Mr. F. above. The items you listed, I think, would be user level maintenance.

For an oil change, get one of these extraction pumps. I have one and it works out really well.

Get some oil absorbent sheets to wipe up any oil/diesel that spills out.

just replace the impeller.

for belts, just check and make sure they are not getting damaged, worn, and not old/cracked.

Just be sure to have spares on board in case something happens when you're away from the dock and any help. Do the basic maintenance enough, and it won't take very long to do.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2016

for someone with experience, and a pro should be, it should not take any longer then 1.5 hours for the oil change. impeller takes about hour. may take a little longer on the first time. the pros will quote a little longer to cover bringing there stuff to and from your boat and they don't know the condition of your engine and access they have until they see it.
I have the same engine and it takes me less then 15 min. to remove the oil with the extraction pump and 5 min to put in 2.5 qts, of oil. filter maybe 10 min.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 04-11-2016 at 01:59 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2016

Parts are probably $100 to $150, 2.5 hours more than enough time. As you may have gathered, most of us are clueless because we don't TRUST someone else to do this work. It's all pretty easy but also easy to screw up, it's the only time you'll be "up close" to your engine so you can inspect and check for leaks and potential problems. Most of the work is stuff you MIGHT have to do in a pinch while at sea and so many consider them essential skills that they like to be familiar with. Changing or draining a fuel filter, bleeding the fuel system, changing an impellor are all things you'll end up having to do "on the fly" at some point.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2016 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Thanks all for responding and passing along useful advice. I am actually pretty handy and do regular maintenance on my motorcycle myself but marine engines are new to me and I was actually a bit intimidated by the oil extraction process... so thanks to Rhaphsody-NS27 for passing on the oil pump tip. The Yanmar 3YM20 on my boat is so easy to access and so is the impeller that I also doubt it could take more than 2 hrs to get this done.

Take care,

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2016

Nice 349!
Mosey on over to Jeanneau 349 and introduce yourself!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2016 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Hey Weinie, that's Thierry from Jeanneau 349... I guess I'll have to start the oil change thread in the forum "Maintenance" topic
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2016

For a better answer as to how long, just time yourself. Second time will be better. Many engines have a built on oil pump Makes it so easy
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2016

the 3YM20 does not have a pump built in but the dip stick tube is connected to the lowest part of the oil sump so connecting an oil extractor pump to the dip stick tube works very well and will remove all the oil in 2 min. It only holds 2.5 qt but warm the engine oil and it will pump out very easy. While you are checking things take a look at the Stainless steel exhaust elbow where it is welded to the flange there have been reports of cracks developing as early as 100 hours. I know of three cases myself. but mine has not cracked.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in