LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 04-19-2016

Re: cold starting woes

Have you replaced ALL the fuel filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 04-19-2016

When I start my yanmar cold, I open the throttle wide open until it fires, then bring it down to idle for a minute or two. Works every time.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Trying to fire without glow plugs wouldn't be 'fixed' by bleeding the injector, and would produce quite a bit of smoke.
I agree, however, experience in customer support has taught me to approach "I do this and then this happens" with a degree of scepticism, and to start by checking the basics.

For example, what would have happened if instead of bleeding the injectors, he had simply waited for an hour? We don't know. Coincidence does not equal cause and effect.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

post #14 of 24 Old 04-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I agree, however, experience in customer support has taught me to approach "I do this and then this happens" with a degree of scepticism, and to start by checking the basics.

For example, what would have happened if instead of bleeding the injectors, he had simply waited for an hour? We don't know. Coincidence does not equal cause and effect.
True.....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #15 of 24 Old 04-20-2016

Injectors have an outlet for excess fuel (and air )to return to tank They are usually ganged in series and routed right back into fuel source somewhere (simple but dumb) so the bit of air accumulates and just goes round and round until it's a problem. I use my return to fill a day tank for the stove and overflows from there back to tank of choice.by separate line.If you can tap into vent at the tank top.?? Fuel transfer (pulse pump type) are set to a pressure by a solenoid powered diaphragm against a spring. When flow happens,pressure drops and the solenoid clicks again to reload. I advocate it low down first off the tank so that rest of system is pressured This makes filter change ,bleeding and leak detection so easy They act as check valve but still need petcocks on tank.Sometimes the existing lift pump stays so it can be used in case of electric failure.Put plugs over the in and out lines to keep clean while it waits.
post #16 of 24 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

The injector return line goes back into the dirty side of the secondary fuel filter. It's all rigid steel lines so changing this could be challenging as, like you guessed, they're all ganged together before routing back to the filter. I recall reading something about some sort of device attached to the secondary filter housing that was there to remove air but, uh, it's vague at this point.

And yes, I replaced both the primary and secondary filters and all soft low pressure fuel lines EXCEPT as noted the line from the tank to the Racor.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-20-2016

My money is still on a suction side air leak. I had the same persistent problem for a while, at the time I had a priming bulb in the line to help fill the filter. Eventually came to the conclusion that the fittings on that bulb were the culprit, removed it and installed a Racor with a built-in priming pump. No issues since.

Worthwhile changing out the fuel line from tank and checking/redoing all the connections.

btw Where are you moored??

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #18 of 24 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

RVYC. Just moved from Jericho to Coal Harbour this weekend.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-20-2016

Definitely sounds like you are getting a bit of air into the fuel system. You will just have to go through the system step by step to locate it.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spear View Post
RVYC. Just moved from Jericho to Coal Harbour this weekend.
Your choice?? Most prefer Jericho. We're in False Creek, but our son is at Jericho (he joined as a youngster)

Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in