cold starting woes - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter

Re: cold starting woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Your choice?? Most prefer Jericho. We're in False Creek, but our son is at Jericho (he joined as a youngster)
We moved to Penticton a few years ago, but kept the boat in Vancouver. We end up staying on the boat at the dock quite a few nights throughout the year and Coal Harbour is much less windy, less wear and tear on the boat, and we really like the "feel" of the marina... we can also leave the car in the lot if we go out for a couple of weeks, unlike Jericho where there's a 3-day limit, and even that's kind of a joke as there is a wedding at the club every weekend between April and September that eats up most of the parking. We walked downtown the other night for dinner, it's a nice spot. That having been said, ask me in a year after I've had to deal with the tides under Lions Gate every time we want to head to the Gulf Islands...
Faster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 04-21-2016

We were at Mosquito Creek for 3 years... you work it out. But going from as much as 45 min to an hour from dock to 'sails up' to 5 minutes has been good, and walking downtown is easy from where we are too. I agree that CH is better for non resident owner.

Hope you sort out the fuel issue...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #23 of 24 Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hope you sort out the fuel issue...
Thanks for your help Ron and have a great season on the water.

post #24 of 24 Old 04-21-2016

I could envision a crack or pin hole in the fuel line that could be sucking air while the engine is running, but would be too small to leak fuel. Fuel is thicker than air.

There could be debris in the fuel line, like rust or dead bug parts, that restrict flow enough that it can't feed enough fuel to supply a more fuel hungry cold engine, but is sucked past the restricted area with the added suction of a warm running engine.

My vintage motorcyle has rusty sludge in the fuel petcock that will require me to remove the tank to get to. In the meantime, I've placed an in-line fuel filter in the fuel line to keep it from getting to my carbs. It is a gravity fed system, with the tank sitting above the carbs and engine. The obstruction is just enough to cause fuel starvation when my tank gets below half full. My engine will start running rough and loses power. I can pull into a station and top off the tank and the bike runs great. It also runs rough when it starts and needs a lot of choke. After it reaches operating temperature it runs like a champ, as long as the gas tank is filled above half. It makes just enough extra gravity pressure to push past the restricted fuel petcock.

Rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump could make a big difference, as well.

I owned several VW Beetles in the old days. Even when their mechanical fuel pump was working well, a rebuild every 30,000 to 40,000 made a noticeable difference.

The acceptable pressure range was listed as 8-15 psi. The car would run ok with a pump that tested at 10 psi, but if the engine was older and had other issues, rebuilding the pump to get closer to 15psi made a noticeable difference in cold starting and acceleration.

Last edited by midwesterner; 04-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in