Volvo MD6A Milky Oil - Need Some Advice - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Bob the 1st

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
Sailing a Columbia 8.7

Volvo MD6A Milky Oil - Need Some Advice

Hi,

My wife and I just purchased a Columbia 8.7 sloop a week ago. My buddy had the boat for years but after an accident in the fall, was unable to winterize the Volvo MD6A. The result was "milky oil" in the pan. The boat has not had it's engine ran since that time and rather than giving up, I wanted to learn what might be the cause and see if it can be fixed before I hang an outboard on her for a year.

I've seen some information on the water pump gaskets causing water to get into the oil and wonder if anyone has had the problem with an MD6A or MD7A that was not winterized and what exactly failed.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2016

Re: Volvo MD6A Milky Oil - Need Some Advice

milky oil is always water in it. The challenge is to determine where it is coming from, and how it gets to the oil pan/engine internals.

You do not say where the boat was overwintered, but if it was not winterized and was subject to hard freezing...you may have your answer.

I would borrow or buy a pressure tester to see if that system leaks down, to start with. IF no leak, a good visual of the entire engine looking for oil and water leaks. If the pan can be dropped, you may want to drain the oil and clean any water from the system, make sure the oil level is accurately determined.

Best of luck,
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2016
Old enough to know better

Where was the boat. I don't think here in New York we had weather cold enough to really do much damage to an engine this winter. But it does sound like water in the oil. Could be condensation (OK that is the optimist in me) but likely water from somewhere. If it backed up into the exhaust system, into exhaust valves down into the oil it might be ok, but likely at least rusty valves. Also depends on if it is raw water cooled or fresh. Compression test is going to be the starting spot. Does it crank?

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
Sailing a Columbia 8.7

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to get a mechanic and suggest that to start. The boat was in the water but I believe that it was subjected to a hard freeze.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
Sailing a Columbia 8.7

We were in Maryland. The boat was raw water cooled. I wish it had a heat exchanger. My problems would be less. The info that I got here will help me with my discussion with a mechanic.

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Any luck with your quest? I'm having a similar milky oil issue with my Volvo MD6A and suspect a faulty water pump gasket...

Cheers
post #7 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightpoint7 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I just purchased a Columbia 8.7 sloop a week ago. My buddy had the boat for years but after an accident in the fall, was unable to winterize the Volvo MD6A. The result was "milky oil" in the pan. The boat has not had it's engine ran since that time and rather than giving up, I wanted to learn what might be the cause and see if it can be fixed before I hang an outboard on her for a year.

I've seen some information on the water pump gaskets causing water to get into the oil and wonder if anyone has had the problem with an MD6A or MD7A that was not winterized and what exactly failed.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Hi, the fact that the oil is milky indicates that it has water in it, and if you have not run it since you acquired it the problem predates your ownership. if there is a problem that allows water into the oil without the engine being run then the oil will float on the top of the water in distinct layers but if the oil is milky then the water entered whilst the engine was running. If that is the case then a discussion needs to be had with your buddy.
PhilCarlson likes this.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #8 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

3+ yrs, since the OP. They must have figured it out by now.

Agree that it sounds like the engine was likely running with water in it. I doubt that MD temps, especially with a boat stored in the water, are harsh enough to hard freeze and crack a block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Guess I'm to blame for resurrecting this thread, had hoped that the source of eightpoint7's oil infiltration was eventually determined so that i might test his solution on my MD6A. Wondering if faulty water pump gaskets could indeed be responsible for milky oil in my Volvo diesel as this would be the easiest fix...
post #10 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My 1st thought on water in oil is head gasket.
I do not know that engine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in