Perkins 4108 diesel leak at fuel line connections - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeOReilly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2016 Thread Starter
Old soul

Perkins 4108 diesel leak at fuel line connections

My fuel lines that feed in and out of my engine-mounted fuel filter housing (the secondary) are leaking at the connections. They are steel lines which attach to the filter housing using compression fittings that consist of a sleeve and a small plastic grommet (an olive) that both slide onto the end of the fuel line.

My filter is more or less like this one:

Perkins Fuel Filter Assembly Kit

The problem is, I can't seem to make a perfect seal. It leaks at the fittings while running.

Is there some trick to making this seal work? I've cranked it on pretty hard. Perhaps I'm over-torquing and crushing the grommet? Or perhaps I need to line up the sleeve/olive and line more accurately?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 07-02-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2016

Re: Perkins 4108 diesel leak at fuel line connections

I am having a similar problem with my Yanmar. Had to remove the fuel line at the injector pump to replace a rounded off bleed screw and it has been dripping ever since. Took it completely off once, carefully cleaned all the surfaces, installed new copper washers (gaskets) and it's better but still drips a bit. Next step is applying a bit of Permatex I guess.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2016

I suspect the grommet, once over tightened, doesn't like it. Fatigue fractures in the steel pipe ??

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2016 Thread Starter
Old soul

Thanks guys. I'm thinking that over-torquing is the problem. I'm going to ease off on the sleeve and replace the grommet (olive). I have a few extras to play with. If this doesn't work, then maybe it's Permatex for me as well.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2016
Wish I never found SN!

Do it up finger tight, with a new olive. With a spanner/wrench nip til it feels secure then only a 1/4 turn to finish.

Simon

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Mediterranean
DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcoholic
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2016

Perkins are tempermentle, what with olives and cork gaskets to crush. Fine line of torque here. Just enough, but not too much. Not sure why you are loosening all of these? To get my filter off I have to take off the return line, as it blocks access to the top mounting bolt for the filter. Then use the banjo bolt on the line to the fuel injection pump to bleed the air.

I noticed you have an after market kit for the OEM engine fuel filter...I read through your link....

From your link:

To finish the job off properly it is best to renew the seals and washers on the various fuel line connections, so we include a full selection of these in the kit along with a pair of solid brass fuel line sleeve nuts which will not corrode!

Any chance you RTFM'd?

Good luck, damn boats!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2016 Thread Starter
Old soul

Going to bed now. Back at it tomorrow. Like I say, I'm going to try a new olive without torquing the heck out of it.

The origin of this problem seems to be following our problems with our injector pump. We had to take the pump off to be reconditioned (did the injectors too). My theory is that when we removed the lines from the injector pump that we somehow torqued or contorted the connections at the filter housing (which we left in place). This produced the fuel leak which we're now fighting with.

BTW, it was hard to identify this leak. I noticed the diesel on the filter housing, so replaced the filter and rubber O-rings a couple of times, thinking they were leaking. The fuel lines join the housing at the aft, so I have to be on top of the engine when it is running to see the leak. Fun fun...
aeventyr60 likes this.

BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in