Fuel care question. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 08-19-2016

Re: Fuel care question.

Another thing to remember is that the experience of a regular sailor or cruisers and and occational sailor are not related. A regular cruisers doesn't experiencing long fuel storage. Ironically, it is the non-sailor that has to know about storage.
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-19-2016

My boat came worth two tanks of 27 gallons each, one under each quarter berth. At 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per hour that's easy more range than I will ever need. I was starting to have filter and rough running problems and traced it to not being able to use the fuel fast enough. My solution was to remove one of the tanks and clean the other. My engine problems went away and I gained some valuable storage space.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-19-2016

I've become a believer in a new product called Desl Shok. I've spoken with several boatyard managers that have been impressed by it, particularly for water/moisture. None had any economic interest in the product, but highly recommend I use it. I also hired the company to clean my tank, which did have some water and growth after 10 years.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-20-2016
al brazzi

Who uses Seafoam, I'm not using anything now but would like to.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-20-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
I think the OP's engine is a diesel, folks. So the gasoline comments do not apply.

I don't ever use any additives, but I burn thru the tank several times a year. I do have on valuable comment though for sailors: It is not necessarily what the filter or water separator looks like. It is what the tank looks like. The most common problem is the crud that inevitably forms in diesel tanks has a bad habit of not showing up in the filter until the first rough crossing. Then it breaks free and wreaks havoc.

So take a look in the tank. Older tanks often have considerable amounts of hard resin-like stuff on the inside. That tends to stay put. What you don't want to see is algae mud-like loose stuff. When you are looking take a minute to suck the crud out of the very lowest corner. If it is just clean diesel and maybe a tiny bit of clean water you are good to go. If not, some level of tank cleaning is warranted.

If your diesel fuel is not crystal clear you should dump it (or give to a farmer). By crystal clear I mean not the least bit cloudy. It always has a yellow, amber or dyed red color - but must be clear.
I agree with Aloof, I do think the dangerous ones are large baffeled Tanks on seldom used Boats. The inside of my Tank is spotless Im sure it gets sloshed about quite well every time we go out it gets a 20 degree rinse on every tack.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Who uses Seafoam, I'm not using anything now but would like to.
Seafoam works well for gas, but it has not tested well on diesel.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #17 of 18 Old 08-20-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Seafoam works well for gas, but it has not tested well on diesel.
Thanks it said ALL engines but I trust the community.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-20-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgwinks View Post
My boat came worth two tanks of 27 gallons each, one under each quarter berth. At 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per hour that's easy more range than I will ever need. I was starting to have filter and rough running problems and traced it to not being able to use the fuel fast enough. My solution was to remove one of the tanks and clean the other. My engine problems went away and I gained some valuable storage space.
I know what you mean, I filled up for a two day race last weekend and still had a half tank from last year when I filled up for the same race. 19 gallon Tank and we use the Boat a lot. when I say use I mean sail.
I did find some stabilizer the PO was using and he kept the Tank full while set up for about a year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in