SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Universal M12 shutting off

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cascoamarillo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Seriously, I don't get it. I have been looking into the Universal M2-12 manual, checking other posts, etc....how can this motor be stopped?

OK, let's go step by step. It is a Universal M2-12 1988, so let's take a look at the manual (this is the specific part, though I have the complete one):
Universal Diesel Engine Owners Manual - Stopping Engine - Marine Diesel Direct / TOAD Marine Supply

And this is the lay out of my engine controls:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk77807noptgrqz/20160612_151011.jpg?dl=0

I don't have a clue of what are they talking about in the M12 section ??... there is no a separate stop lever. On my picture there is (barely seen) the compressor lever only (below left corner), which I don't even touch....so moving on.

On a couple of posts I found (and local sailors told me so) that the best is to shut off the diesel valve; all right I have been doing this so far, though this really takes a while. Today it really have my nerve...nearly 45 minutes waiting for the bloody diesel to stop. There should be a better/clever/easy way to do this. I don't know...

See less See more
#2 ·
The picture in your dropbox does not show the off knob.

There may be a knob somewhere that you have to pull out for about 3 seconds that shuts off the fuel.

That knob can be anyplace. I have seen them in a locker or in the cabin under the companionway stairs.

Also, the stop may be connected to the throttle.

Some boats with a separate throttle shut off by pulling the throttle below idle against a strong spring. If yours is a single lever setup that would not apply to you.

If you carefully look at the engine you can find a cycle brake type cable and trace it back to where it lives.

Reactions: cascoamarillo
#3 ·
Diesels are stopped by shutting off the fuel. I had a Universal 5411 (M15) on my previous boat and that worked as described in your link (pushing back past idle on the throttle. Current boat has a Yanmar, and that is stopped by pulling out on a stop handle. I see from your picture you have a single handle engine control, so you must have a stop control someplace. You can always stop the engine by moving the stop mechanism right on the engine injection pump. And if you follow the cable attached to it, you should find where the stop control is located.

#4 ·
Thank you for the replies!

I haven't got time until today to go and check on the engine again.
So I tried to trace back all the wires but it is not clear to me still. Sorry, quite a noob on inboard diesels. I'll attach a couple of pics, maybe someone can see it more clear.

Here is the engine, with the throttle (T) cable and what I think is the famous Stop Lever (ST). And a couple more, if someone have had any Universal M2-12 (1988) with this configuration, please le me know.

I am starting to think that the lever I think is the compression lever, is actually the stop lever. Just the owner told me so, but how can i try it without busting the engine?? Thanks

#5 ·
Just work the lever while the engine is running unless the cable is totally seized up then it will work freely. If it is seized loosen the screw and work it with the cable still. Find the other end of the cable it cant be that hard to find>> the decompression if your motor has one is a manual lever by the valve cover, it wont be remotely operated.

#6 ·
The compression release lever on a Universal Diesel is on the valve cover. I believe that the lever that you are looking at may be (probably is) the stop lever. On larger Universals, with which I am more familliar, the stop lever is located beneath the throttle linkage.

Please post your pictures like this:

#8 ·
I do not think that the compression release lever will have any cables connected to it.

If it has a cable connected to it with a pull knob or pull T handle it is the stop lever that should be used.

The compression release lever is so rarely used you have to have your head in the engine compartment to use it.

#9 ·
From your pics, I am 95% sure the lever your are pointing to is the engine stop/fuel cutoff. It's connected to the fuel injection pump and the other clearly looks like the throttle. You can confirm that by moving the engine control in the cockpit and seeing what it moves. As has been stated, the compression release will be up near the valve cover as it works by holding the valves open and has been note will not have a cable attached to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.