Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 09-04-2018

Re: Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke

At some point in time some/many of the Uni Westy factory HXs were deemed too small and a larger size was recom3nded.
I have a new original size as a spare and the larger working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 09-05-2018
One of None

there are still allot of tugs and trawlers and maybe even some larger ships that use Keel coolers for their engines, of course they'd be much larger than the little ones you see on your little Refrigeration units [emoji41]

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #13 of 20 Old 09-05-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
This makes me appreciate my Beta Marine engine - the heat exchanger tube stack simply slides out for cleaning.
As you should.

Realize that the Beta and the Universal/Westerbeake are both marinized Kubota tractor engines. Most of the bronze Universal engines are now over 30 years old (mine is 32) and are still going strong. These were the best solution available at that price at that time (early to mid-1980s). That's why Catalina, Ericson, O'day and other manufacturers used them in their boats.

If I were to re-power from my M25 tomorrow, I would look closely at the Beta 25.
RegisteredUser likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #14 of 20 Old 09-05-2018

Thought I'd mention an idiocintxrisy of keel coolers over H EX . The water pump under the thermostat is not positive displacement and at a long slow idle may not be circulating enough down and around.. Temp alarm and an eye on gauges a good thing. That be good with air lock in a regular hx setup too. Last time I looked, most of the fishing boats had keel coolers.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
As you should.

Realize that the Beta and the Universal/Westerbeake are both marinized Kubota tractor engines. ...
My Westerbeke has a Mitsubish block, I have not heard of a Westy with Kubota block.. yet.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-05-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
My Westerbeke has a Mitsubish block, I have not heard of a Westy with Kubota block.. yet.
Westerbeake merged with Universal resulting in Universal/Westerbeake.
Quote:
With over 75 years experience with marine propulsion engines, it's easy to see why Universal marine diesel engines by Westerbeke have led the way in auxiliary marine propulsion. Exclusively designed for marine applications, our Universal boat engines represent a breakthrough in marine diesel engine compactness, quietness, and reliability. Used by the most prestigious auxiliary sailboat builders, thousands of Universal diesel engines have been installed in boats for pleasure, commercial and government use.
Here is a Westerbeake / Universal (or Universal / Westerbeake) that is a Kubota block;
https://westerbeke.com/category/M-25...D#mainoverview

It is based on the Kubota D950

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-05-2018 at 01:21 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-05-2018
Dirt Free

Westerbeke marinized diesels from several manufacturers and has gone to great lengths to make small changes so that OE parts will not fit, they have also gone some length to hide what those engines are.
Good marketing - predatory parts pricing.

i.e. They use a standard Sherwood pump and modifiy the mounting base on the pump to fit their own mount .... totally unecessary but they get to charge $400 more than the Sherwood version. I went through this last week and modified the Westerbeke mount to fit the Sherwood version. It took quite an effort to find the right Sherwood pump since Westy changed the part number and omitted their base modification from the drawing in their parts manual ............... PRICKS !
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Westerbeake merged with Universal resulting in Universal/Westerbeake.

Here is a Westerbeake / Universal (or Universal / Westerbeake) that is a Kubota block;
https://westerbeke.com/category/M-25...D#mainoverview

It is based on the Kubota D950
Sorry eherlihy, if it ain't red it ain't a Westy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Westerbeke marinized diesels from several manufacturers and has gone to great lengths to make small changes so that OE parts will not fit, they have also gone some length to hide what those engines are.
Good marketing - predatory parts pricing.

i.e. They use a standard Sherwood pump and modifiy the mounting base on the pump to fit their own mount .... totally unecessary but they get to charge $400 more than the Sherwood version. I went through this last week and modified the Westerbeke mount to fit the Sherwood version. It took quite an effort to find the right Sherwood pump since Westy changed the part number and omitted their base modification from the drawing in their parts manual ............... PRICKS !
+1 boatpoker, exactly right - and I have the Mitsu parts manual for my W30B3 just in case and it was a pain to find out which model it was. But I give them a lot of attention and have never had a problem with these engines, 10 years previous boat, 2K hours + 4 years current @ 900.... knock on wood.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-13-2018

Hi,
I can't send you a PM because I haven't posted enough but if you still have the heat exchanger I'd take it. I'm in East Falmouth and I assume you can PM to me and I'll respond. Thanks!
post #20 of 20 Old 09-14-2018
Learning the HARD way...

PM Sent - I will be in East Falmouth TOMORROW so I can deliver!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in