Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke

I cut open a heat exchanger. Someone might want to see this if they are trying to troubleshoot one.

https://youtu.be/xRXcXRQD-eg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-04-2018
One of None

Re: Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke

Oh... You "may" have destroyed it for naught.

They come apart and can be re-tubed. Sometimes a tube is solder plugged

It's a very old technology also found in horizontal tube boilers called Marine boilers.

There are the exchangers as big as your engine some are even as big as a boat

Edit: they, meaning others,

the proper term is "shell in tube heat exchanger" the tubes inside are called the bundle and they are usually removable + repairable with solder or brazing the bad tube,

But, the cost is to replace small H/X's I'd probably equal or higher than replacing them with new for the non DIYer.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-04-2018 at 07:18 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Oh... You destroyed it for naught.
They come apart.
Thanks, but *someone* bought me a new one, and any more time spent on the broken one is money wasted. The scrap metal will be recycled, of course.

In any case, I'm wondering what you mean by come apart, because this one is all welded shut!

post #4 of 20 Old 09-04-2018
One of None

I said many, not all, or yours.

Usually one end one end comes off, the bundle slides out, O-rings or gaskets seal the header ends.
Smaller ones like what is on your engine are brazed together it doesn't mean they can't be repaired it just means it's more difficult. It is pretty much a throw away design.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-04-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-04-2018

Actually the term is "shell AND tube heat exchanger".

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (09-04-2018)
post #6 of 20 Old 09-04-2018
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Actually the term is "shell AND tube heat exchanger".
The one on your air conditioner is called coaxial lol
Yeah it's pretty hard to get the shell inside a tube. Lol

Y'all might need some help with this one. Lol

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-04-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-04-2018
Learning the HARD way...

That is the 2" x 16" bronze H/X Universal part number 303145. It is appropriate for the Universal M-12, M2-12, M-18, M-20 and M2-20. These were also used on the M25, but it is really too small for that application.

I have a 299049, which is the same H/X without the mounting straps. I pulled it off of an M25 when I upgraded it to a 3" H/X. This particular H/X has less than a year of use on it and is in excellent condition. You can have it for $50 (the bronze alone should be worth that) plus the cost of shipping if you want a spare. It's been sitting in my garage for over two years. Send me a PM if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
20170423_161153.jpg   20170423_161226.jpg   20170423_161302.jpg  

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-04-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
That is the 2" x 16" bronze H/X Universal part number 303145. It is appropriate for the Universal M-12, M2-12, M-18, M-20 and M2-20. These were also used on the M25, but it is really too small for that application.

I have a 299049, which is the same H/X without the mounting straps. I pulled it off of an M25 when I upgraded it to a 3" H/X. This particular H/X has less than a year of use on it and is in excellent condition. You can have it for $50 (the bronze alone should be worth that) plus the cost of shipping if you want a spare. It's been sitting in my garage for over two years. Send me a PM if interested.
Thanks the meta-data!

I don't think I will need a spare any time soon, so I'll pass.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-04-2018

I remember an old-timer describing banking the coals over, straping on a rescue plank over the asbestos suit with a fire hose running and going into the firebox like a pizza on a peel .Find the leaking tube/s and plug before the subs find you behind the convoy .Kinda makes you wonder if you have what it takes. On a brighter note, if the ends of your moderately sized Ht ex are removable ,not a trinket for the recycle bin, determine if it's tubes or ?? Offending tubes can be plugged with a cedar dowel and get you to a repair shop. I carried oxygen/acycet and a selection of bronze and silver solder /flux on board and frequently fixed stuff beyond my pay scale.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-04-2018

This makes me appreciate my Beta Marine engine - the heat exchanger tube stack simply slides out for cleaning.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in