Old Diesel in Universal 25xp - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 10-09-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Old Diesel in Universal 25xp

It was tough to do but I decided to put her on the hard right away and really go thru everything.
I took a good look initially and had a pre-purchase survey done but still not positive what I bought.
(Don't tell the admiral) I have owned other sailboats but never a diesel and not one with this many functions.
After I check the tank, change the oil and filters what is the easiest way to supply fresh water to the engine to run it.
I'm assuming there is an adapter that I can rig from a garden house to the intake hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac123 View Post
After I check the tank, change the oil and filters what is the easiest way to supply fresh water to the engine to run it.
I'm assuming there is an adapter that I can rig from a garden house to the intake hose?
Do NOT connect a pressurized water hose directly to the engine. It's possible to fill the exhaust system and get water into the engine cylinders.

Remove the raw water hose from the seacock and put it into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill the bucket with water. Start the engine and keep the bucket close to full with a water hose.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-10-2018)
post #13 of 28 Old 10-09-2018
al brazzi

Unless they are new I would change the fuel lines, supply and return. I don't know haw many tough run problems were fixed by (finally) changing the fuel lines. Best PM you can do on an old motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-10-2018)

post #14 of 28 Old 10-14-2018 Thread Starter

I started the clean-up process and so far so good. The decks have a few stress cracks that I missed but nothing severe. We had some good rain from Michael and there was a few inches of water in the bilge. I siphoned out all the water and what was left was about an inch of "sludge"

We cleaned all of that out with Dawn and water. Going to start the tank inspection and looking at the engine.

The boat had not been run for a while except for a quick start-up by the surveyor.

Is "sludge" in the bilge an obvious sign of something or to be expected on an older boat that has not been used for a year or two?
post #15 of 28 Old 10-14-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac123 View Post
Is "sludge" in the bilge an obvious sign of something or to be expected on an older boat that has not been used for a year or two?
Sludge in the bilge is a sign of deferred maintenance of the boat and motor. If you had a Universal M25, and not an M25-XP, and the sludge contains oil, then I would advise you to check the alternator mounting bracket.

Your bilge should be clean and dry. For comparison, this is what the bilge on my 1987 O'day 35 (powered by an M25) looks like;
Attached Thumbnails
2016-09-22 12.40.34.jpg   2016-09-22 12.41.04.jpg   2016-09-22 12.48.39.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-14-2018)
post #16 of 28 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Any thoughts on avoiding running the engine while on the hard? To the novice it seems like it would be stressful on the hull and rigging.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-16-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Running the engine should not stress the rigging, whether the boat is in the water or not.

You can run the engine on the hard IF you know how to provide the raw water cooling with water without hydro-locking the engine. Others here have posted how to do this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-17-2018)
post #18 of 28 Old 10-16-2018

Water laying in the bilge can grow algae that mixes with dirt and crud in the bilge water creating a sludge.

Water can come down the mast around the sheeves. You can also get condensation on the hard that ends up in the bilge. In the winter I usually pour a little marine anti-freeze in the bilge to prevent freezing (the pink stuff).

You shouldn't have excessive oil in the bilge. If you do, on the 25XP in a Catalina 30 check the rear corners of the oil pan as it can sit in salt water if the drain between the upper and lower bilges is clogged or non-existent (on older models). A little surface rust is no big deal. If it's rusted to the point where oil is seeping through the metal you'll need to address the problem (this can be done with the engine in place).

If you're getting a diesel smell in the bilge water or a rainbow slick start checking fuel lines.

If you have a lot of gunk built up in the bilge make sure your float switch is working. It looks like a flapper and will have a wire running back to your bilge pump. Lift up on the flapper and the bilge pump should come on. If not check the three way switch on the panel is in the "Auto" position.

Finally check your opening ports to make sure they're not leaking. If they are it's pretty easy to restore and re-swell the rubber seals with dawn and Vaseline as long as the rubber isn't badly cracked.

Just remember one thing at a time !

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-17-2018)
post #19 of 28 Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, I believe I got a great deal on the boat but it was an expediated purchase. I read that the compression block problem was fixed by Catalina by the time my hull was manufactured so that box is checked.
Cleaned out everything and getting to see what's there. Looks good and docs I got with the boat show some good care by PO's.
Now trying to determine engine condition. Will take the suggestions I got here starting with looking down into the fuel tank to hopefully see a clean bottom and take it from there.

If tank is clean plan on changing oil and fuel filters and then running and possible sea trial before taking her out of the water to start on re-bedding deck hardware, etc.

Thanks again for all the great info
post #20 of 28 Old 10-17-2018

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=2

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in