Old Diesel in Universal 25xp - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-02-2018 Thread Starter

Old Diesel in Universal 25xp

Just bought a C30 that has had very little use in the last few years.
Looking for suggestions on fuel additives.
Plan on using the boat for the next 6 weeks then winterizing.
Also looking for the best place to purchase fuel filters, impellers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-05-2018

Re: Old Diesel in Universal 25xp

Use the Wix cross reference tool to determine which of their fuel and oil filters you need, then I just buy from the cheapest truck part distributor. Usually buy in 3s. Think I got mine from Fleet Filter last time.

For the impeller you need to determine which raw water pump you have. I usually get mine on Ebay.

Edit : looks like your fuel filter is Universal 298854. The Wix p/n is 33390. Same as my Universal 5424.

Your oil filter is 51334.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 10-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSF For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-07-2018)
post #3 of 28 Old 10-05-2018

With regard to fuel additives, if you get Valvtect marine fuel, it already includes additives. I do but still add Startron at each fillup. If your fuel dock doesn't have the Valvtect sign, then I would also add a stabilizer.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-07-2018)

post #4 of 28 Old 10-05-2018

I fill with a 5 gal container from a gas station, but add additive from a bottle. One product comparison (might have been Practical Sailor) recommended alternating between Valvtect Bioguard and Biobor JF every year, as they both have slightly different coverages for the various bacteria. So that is what I do.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #5 of 28 Old 10-05-2018
Master Mariner

Diesel does not evaporate like gas, leaving behind a varnish sort of substance, so older diesel isn't the problem that older gas is.
Since diesel is basically kerosene and lubricating oil (4%), you could add a tiny bit of kerosene to your fuel to "brighten" it up, maybe a quart to ten gallons, at the most. A much better additive would be Marvel Mystery oil, which we use at every oil change, and we use the Sta-Bil diesel fuel additive on general principles as we use our fuel fast enough there is little chance of problems.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 10-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-05-2018

Buying new...
One of the most important things you can do is make sure yout fuel tank is clean at your new start.
Seriously.....1st on list.
eherlihy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-07-2018)
post #7 of 28 Old 10-06-2018

On our Universal M35B, the previous owner used BioBor JF and EZ Stor EZ Start (detergent additive). I have continued his practice, and also add OptiLube XPD (lubricity and cetane enhancer). The lubricity additive may be important when using low sulfur fuel with older diesels that were designed for higher sulfur fuel.

Suggested reading:

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTech...itive_test.pdf

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-07-2018)
post #8 of 28 Old 10-07-2018

Jac,

First congratulations on the new boat !

Fuel Filters
There are a couple of versions of the 25XP (25XP, 25XPA, 25XPB). There should be a manufacturers plate on the top of the engine that indicates which model you have. Silver Cloud is the local Universal Dealer and they can tell you the proper filter for your engine (don't assume the one that's on there is the right one).

There have been numerous discussions about using automotive filters on marine diesels. Bottom line there are differences; there've been endless threads on whether those differences matter. I weighed the $4 bucks saved on buying 1 filter per year against $10K for a new motor and it didn't seem like a good idea. YMMV

Fuel Condition
Your diesel fuel is probably OK. If you really think it's suspect drain the tank over the winter and add fresh fuel. It's an 18 gallon tank so it's not a huge expense.

For the little bit of diesel I used motoring out into Barnegat Bay from Forked River I'd top her off with road diesel out of a 5 gallon jug and add a little biobor. I never had a problem.

There are two things you absolutely SHOULD do on a "new to you" Catalina 30 -- check the tank for debris and remove the tank pickup screen.

Pull the cushions out of the aft berth, the tank is under an access panel. Four screws hold the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank. Remove the screws and the sending unit and shine a bright light into the tank so you can see the bottom. It should be bright and shiny, if the bottom is covered with black debris you'll be cleaning the tank this winter.

Next remove the fuel pickup tube from the front of the tank. When you get it out shine a light through the tube. If there is a metal screen in the tube it will be clogged with gunk and you'll need to remove it by pushing it out with a dowel. Drop it in the trash. Your fuel filters will remove any debris pulled up from the tank. The screen was a bad idea, over time it clogs with debris and can cause rough running and stalling that is a ***** to diagnose. Ask me how I know...

Be careful screwing the pickup and sending unit back into the tank as it's easy to over-tighten them and strip the threads. If the sending unit gasket looks questionable replace it. There's nothing worse then the smell of diesel in the cabin.

Buying Parts
Your profile says you're on Barnegat Bay. Dave at Silver Cloud in Forked River is a Universal dealer and will have all the parts you need. On the C30 there are two fuel filters, a secondary fuel filter mounted to one side of the alternator on the settee wall and a primary on opposite side of the engine (same as the oil filter). The fuel system is self-bleeding.

Since the boat is new to you, you'll also want to pick up an impeller kit for the water pump while you're in there. Two different pumps were used - Sherwood and Oberdorfer. Look at the pump on the front of the engine to determine which one you have. There were a couple of different alternator belts used on these engines so don't go by the parts manual, write down the number of your belt for reference.

Depending on whether you're on the upper or middle bay you might want to check out Bob's Square Deal on Rt 9 in Lacey Township. He's always less than West Marine and the marinas on parts.

If you don't have the manuals for your boat just Google the model number. Also check out Tech Wiki ? Catalina 34 International Association. This is the Catalina 34 owner's site, but most of what's there applies to the C30 and it's a great reference.

Best of luck with her,
Jim
RegisteredUser likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-07-2018 at 05:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
Jac123 (10-07-2018)
post #9 of 28 Old 10-07-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks Jim
I'm keeping her at Silver Cloud as well.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-09-2018

Dave and Dawn are good people and there are a lot of good folks on Forked River.

This is the best time of year to sail there. The temperatures are great and there's not a lot of boats out on the bay. Enjoy !

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in