engine alignment - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

engine alignment

Can someone explain how to align the engine to the prop shaft? I understand the engine mounts have screws/nuts to raise/lower tilt the engine. What I don't understand is how to hold the coupler to the transmission flange in order to make the measurement. I tried once but the shaft tends to droop a bit. I also understand the rig needs the proper tension and that the boat needs to be in the water for several days prior to the alignment.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2019

Re: engine alignment

Usually both flanges have matching groove/ridge to assist initial centering .This leaves them pretty close together. Now the feeler gauge will give you indication of parallel. ness. Measure top/bottom sides gap with maybe 30 thou feeler Same 'feel' at all points. Start adusting to make the so. As you get it nearly good use a thinner feeler and make sure flange is snug to mate.(same feeler friction all all point) Take note that the front mounts can pivot over the rear mounts so up front can lower flange You have to hold your mouth just right It may take some time. Also note that the finished product leaves equal weight on all four corners (failure here will be shaking engine and fatigue fracture mount bolts. Make sure nuts are all tight as last move Easy after youv'e done it a few times and every one should
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Usually both flanges have matching groove/ridge to assist initial centering .This leaves them pretty close together. Now the feeler gauge will give you indication of parallel. ness. Measure top/bottom sides gap with maybe 30 thou feeler Same 'feel' at all points. Start adusting to make the so. As you get it nearly good use a thinner feeler and make sure flange is snug to mate.(same feeler friction all all point) Take note that the front mounts can pivot over the rear mounts so up front can lower flange You have to hold your mouth just right It may take some time. Also note that the finished product leaves equal weight on all four corners (failure here will be shaking engine and fatigue fracture mount bolts. Make sure nuts are all tight as last move Easy after youv'e done it a few times and every one should
When I undo the four bolts/nuts holding coupler to flange the shaft should not sag?

Nor'sea 27

post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2019

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS :- If you have access to all round use a steel rule across the engine shaft coupling adjusting the retaining bolts to get the correct alinement so as the shaft engine are inline. The bring the shaft to the engine and use Vernier calipers or feeler gages so both faces are square to each other, it's messy and can take time but is worth it in the end BEST OF LUCK. AND AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2019

Jer, If you are just checking alignment,you may not be far off already. So just back the coupling off just enough to slip the feeler gauge in between (bolts out or backed way loose) Even if you pull the shaft back and it drops a bit ,no biggie, On fishboats with 15' shafts I block it up temporary to take the strain If it's a new install or replacing mounts it get a bit more trick. The engine may be have to be moved sideways as well as up/down THats what the adjusting slots in the mount base are for. Back off all .A small engine,,, tap with wood block or lever to shift .MOve both sides so the force is not sideways on the rubber part. This all takes some time and effort but ,,,, Back in the day all the flange bolts were wired to prevent disaster but now I hear locktite and lock washers are accepted Torque??

Last edited by Capt Len; 02-19-2019 at 07:00 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

I have the boat home so, weather permitting, I'll remove the bolts and check. Yes yes yes, I know the boat has to be in the water under rig tension but I just want to see if the coupler is going to sag. I had to replace the shaft and cutlass bearing after 600 hours because I think the alignment was out.

Nor'sea 27
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2019

Are you saying youv'e already replaced parts? If so who put it all back together . Just goes to show that everyone should have these basic skills. Go for it. Final adjustment again after boat in water. It's not like it's a sagging old wooden hull .But still we managed ,back in the day.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in