SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Replacing transmission oil cooler (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/329058-replacing-transmission-oil-cooler.html)

chowdan 04-03-2019 10:09 PM

Replacing transmission oil cooler

Hey guys,

My tranny oil cooler is due for replacement. I was wondering before I pull the lines from the cooler/tranny, how much oil should i suspect to see come flowing out?

I am planning to pull the cooler from its mounts, remove the raw coolant lines which appear to run to a pump which is hooked to the heat exchanger(?), then remove the oil cooler lines and bring into Fisheries Supply to get a replacement.

I just am worried regarding how much fluids I should suspect to see? I have limited working space, so I'd like to get a small container in there, but maybe a **** ton of absorbent pads and towels would be better?

Capt Len 04-03-2019 10:53 PM

Re: Replacing transmission oil cooler

Limited loss of oil. but the cooling water will drain .If raw water cooled shut off the thruhull.

chowdan 04-03-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Len (Post 2051593652)
Limited loss of oil. but the cooling water will drain .If raw water cooled shut off the thruhull.

I believe this isn't hooked up to raw water, rather it is hooked to heat exchanger, though I am not 100% sure. Quick looks indicated that.

Would I disconnect the oil hose from the tranny first, or from the exchanger first? I suspect the exchange would come first as i could then hold the hoses upward to prevent loss.

hellosailor 04-06-2019 05:28 PM

Dan-
Remember that for a hardline or a rubber tube, you can usually stick a golf tee, sharpened pencil, or other object (even a foam ear plug) into the end of the hose, to stop fluid from draining out.
Somewhere in the manual for the transmission it will state what the entire capacity is, that's the max that can come out, although draining any one point usually won't get you that much.

capta 04-06-2019 07:06 PM

I don't like saying negative things about good companies, but I have not been able to find a single price on the Fisherman's Supply website that is anywhere near as inexpensive as most other sites. Just a word of caution.
There is a huge range of prices on oil coolers and the like and if you are certain you need to replace it, rather than taking it to a radiator shop for repairs, I'd certainly take the time and shop around.

RegisteredUser 04-06-2019 07:11 PM

Sometimes fisheries supply does have a slightly better price...depends on the item

olson34 04-06-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051594224)
I don't like saying negative things about good companies, but I have not been able to find a single price on the Fisherman's Supply website that is anywhere near as inexpensive as most other sites. Just a word of caution.
There is a huge range of prices on oil coolers and the like and if you are certain you need to replace it, rather than taking it to a radiator shop for repairs, I'd certainly take the time and shop around.

I have patronized them for years. Their web pricing shows "list" and when you place an order you see the actual discounted price. It's their store policy. Not bad or good, but different from some other companies.

MikeOReilly 04-06-2019 09:39 PM

I had to replace my cooler last season after the water side sprung a leak. When I removed the lines there was very little oil ó it had already drained back into the tranny. I unhooked from the cooler and did as you suggested to drain any residue back down.

As Len says, if itís raw water cooled (mine was) make sure your seawater intake is closed. Or do as I did, and do the job on land during haul out.

I did find quite a range of prices when I was looking to buy a new one. I mentioned it to my dock mate, an old Newfoundland fisherman. He told me not to bother, and then he just gave me one he had on hand.

Salt of the earth.

boatpoker 04-06-2019 10:10 PM

I recently replaced my gear fluid cooler as it had sprung a leak. I spent quite a few hours building a new mounting location for it as it partially blocked other
items that needed more regular maintenance.

Proud of my work I sat back and it dawned on me..... my HT6-354 Perkins didn't have one and I put 20,000 hours on that boat. My TAMD60B didn't have one and I put 6,000 hours on that boat. Now those are big heavy duty diesels. If their tranny's didn't need cooling why should this puny little 55hp Westerbeke ?

PS. The Perkins had the exact same transmission as my little Westerbeke. I am going to seriously look into removing this cooler altogether. I don't think it was OE.

capta 04-06-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olson34 (Post 2051594236)
I have patronized them for years. Their web pricing shows "list" and when you place an order you see the actual discounted price. It's their store policy. Not bad or good, but different from some other companies.

Interesting.
I'd say it's a pretty bad policy because if I had known they were even halfway competitive, they might have thousands of my dollars that have gone to companies that don't have that policy.