Replacing transmission oil cooler - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-2019 Thread Starter

Replacing transmission oil cooler

Hey guys,

My tranny oil cooler is due for replacement. I was wondering before I pull the lines from the cooler/tranny, how much oil should i suspect to see come flowing out?

I am planning to pull the cooler from its mounts, remove the raw coolant lines which appear to run to a pump which is hooked to the heat exchanger(?), then remove the oil cooler lines and bring into Fisheries Supply to get a replacement.

I just am worried regarding how much fluids I should suspect to see? I have limited working space, so I'd like to get a small container in there, but maybe a **** ton of absorbent pads and towels would be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-03-2019

Re: Replacing transmission oil cooler

Limited loss of oil. but the cooling water will drain .If raw water cooled shut off the thruhull.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Limited loss of oil. but the cooling water will drain .If raw water cooled shut off the thruhull.
I believe this isn't hooked up to raw water, rather it is hooked to heat exchanger, though I am not 100% sure. Quick looks indicated that.

Would I disconnect the oil hose from the tranny first, or from the exchanger first? I suspect the exchange would come first as i could then hold the hoses upward to prevent loss.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Dan-
Remember that for a hardline or a rubber tube, you can usually stick a golf tee, sharpened pencil, or other object (even a foam ear plug) into the end of the hose, to stop fluid from draining out.
Somewhere in the manual for the transmission it will state what the entire capacity is, that's the max that can come out, although draining any one point usually won't get you that much.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-06-2019
Master Mariner

I don't like saying negative things about good companies, but I have not been able to find a single price on the Fisherman's Supply website that is anywhere near as inexpensive as most other sites. Just a word of caution.
There is a huge range of prices on oil coolers and the like and if you are certain you need to replace it, rather than taking it to a radiator shop for repairs, I'd certainly take the time and shop around.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 16 Old 04-06-2019

Sometimes fisheries supply does have a slightly better price...depends on the item
post #7 of 16 Old 04-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I don't like saying negative things about good companies, but I have not been able to find a single price on the Fisherman's Supply website that is anywhere near as inexpensive as most other sites. Just a word of caution.
There is a huge range of prices on oil coolers and the like and if you are certain you need to replace it, rather than taking it to a radiator shop for repairs, I'd certainly take the time and shop around.
I have patronized them for years. Their web pricing shows "list" and when you place an order you see the actual discounted price. It's their store policy. Not bad or good, but different from some other companies.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #8 of 16 Old 04-06-2019
Old soul

I had to replace my cooler last season after the water side sprung a leak. When I removed the lines there was very little oil — it had already drained back into the tranny. I unhooked from the cooler and did as you suggested to drain any residue back down.

As Len says, if it’s raw water cooled (mine was) make sure your seawater intake is closed. Or do as I did, and do the job on land during haul out.

I did find quite a range of prices when I was looking to buy a new one. I mentioned it to my dock mate, an old Newfoundland fisherman. He told me not to bother, and then he just gave me one he had on hand.

Salt of the earth.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-06-2019
Dirt Free

I recently replaced my gear fluid cooler as it had sprung a leak. I spent quite a few hours building a new mounting location for it as it partially blocked other
items that needed more regular maintenance.

Proud of my work I sat back and it dawned on me..... my HT6-354 Perkins didn't have one and I put 20,000 hours on that boat. My TAMD60B didn't have one and I put 6,000 hours on that boat. Now those are big heavy duty diesels. If their tranny's didn't need cooling why should this puny little 55hp Westerbeke ?

PS. The Perkins had the exact same transmission as my little Westerbeke. I am going to seriously look into removing this cooler altogether. I don't think it was OE.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 04-06-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-06-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
I have patronized them for years. Their web pricing shows "list" and when you place an order you see the actual discounted price. It's their store policy. Not bad or good, but different from some other companies.
Interesting.
I'd say it's a pretty bad policy because if I had known they were even halfway competitive, they might have thousands of my dollars that have gone to companies that don't have that policy.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in