Torque Spec for Yanmar Injectors? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Torque Spec for Yanmar Injectors?

Well I opened up the inspection cover and the inside didn't look that bad, though the float had some green slime on it. The fuel pickup is on the opposite side of the tank and I don't know how one would be able to inspect it, much less clean it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

That green slime is algae, otherwise known as diesel sludge. It grows in diesel fuel when it has been contaminated by water (it takes just a tiny amount of water). It can block the fuel pump pick-up. Get a bottle of Stanadyne additive and add it to the tank. Then top it off completely with fuel.then run it for a while.
post #13 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

So I bypassed the fuel tank and it still only revs up to 1400 RPM.

I then started the engine and loosened the flair nut to each injector, one at a time. There was no change in idle when I loosened the nut on the third injector. Some fuel came out when I loosened the nut.

So I suppose that means I have a bad injector, which is a surprise because the shop tests them after being re-built. I will probably call the shop in the morning but to rule-out the pump, I should probably swap two of the injectors and see what happens.

post #14 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

So I swapped the # 2 and 3 injectors and when I re-did the test from my last post, cyllinder 3 still doesn't fire. There is definitely fuel getting to the injector; I could tell when I cracked the nut.

I guess that leaves the pump? That makes no sense. It worked fine before I pulled the injectors the first time.

Running out of ideas.
post #15 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Is it mechanical injection? Is the timing off?
post #16 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I found the problem but now the original problem is back.

When I removed the injectors, I tried disconnecting the # 3 injector line from the pump. The flare nut threads onto a sleeve that threads into the body of the pump. When I tried to loosen the flare nut, it wouldn't break free from the sleeve; instead, it backed the sleeve off by about 1/16th of a turn. I had forgotten. I tightened it back up and tightened the clamp that holds the sleeve in place. Based on the diagram, there's a lot of little pieces held in place by that sleeve, so it's sensitive to small movements. I started it up and it idles faster and revs up under load.

However, when I rev it up, there's once again quite a bit of smoke coming out the exhaust. It's definitely un-burnt fuel. So it seems like having the injectors rebuilt didn't cure the problem.
post #17 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

We took the boat out yesterday for the first time since my last post. Initially there was smoke coming from the exhaust but it went away after about five minutes, I suppose because the engine reached operating temperature. The smell of the smoke was different this time; it smelled more like burnt oil than unburnt fuel.

For now, the problem seems to have went away so perhaps it was the injectors. This exercise taught me how touchy (though reliable) mechanical fuel injection can be. It might be worth while to have the injector timing checked and for that matter, check valve clearances.
post #18 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago

So...residue burning out.
Now keeping a watch on it.
Progress....
post #19 of 19 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I think you're right about the residue. It could have been un-burnt oil that got past the piston into the combustion chamber.

My father-in-law, (a tug mechanic), thinks that I probably had an internal leak inside the injector pump for that cylinder. It was probably caused by the sleeve not being fully seated into the pump body.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in