How much oil - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

How much oil

Just did a transmission oil change on a yanmar 2gm20f. Have owned the boat for 2 years Pearson 303 1986.
Took out 540ml oil the required amount is 250ml for this transmission. I did check the oil level in the transmission several times and it was high on the dip stick. Should I put in the 250ml or put in what I pulled out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2019

Re: How much oil

Put in enough so it's at the full mark. If your 2GM is like my 3 GM, the mark is a groove on the rod attached to the fill fitting.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2019

Check to learn if level should be read when pushed in or just flush/top of hole.
Common mistake

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks you do not screw it in to get the reading.
Just wondering if there may have been a reason to have put in so much.
I put in 300ml little above the mark.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2019

They require so little that its easy to overfill
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2019
Master Mariner

I wouldn't put even a ¼ teaspoon more oil than is recommended. Stick with the manufacturer's level and you should be fine. After all, some pretty smart folks designed your transmission to work with your engine and on a boat, so second-guessing them just does not make any sense to me.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 16 Old 05-13-2019

The excess oil may have been put in for storage. It's common to overfill to cover all the gears/plates and protect against corrosion, but it should not be run that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense as to how the oil got there. I was thinking it may have been done due to the angle of the trans. and I needed to put back in what I took out. So would you worry about the extra 50ml or just run it for a few hours change again, and put in the required 250ml? The plug vent is clear.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-2019

Confusing question. Why not just fill it to the Full line on the dip stick.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-2019

A few questions about oil.

What does over filling do? presumably harm... Underfilling seems like there would be inadequate lubrication.

Isn't there more volume in the engine (and the transmission for oil than the oil required?

Although I don't service my car... done by dealer service department... I don't recall any regular oil changes for the transmission. Tranny doesn't seem to consume oil...(the way engine does)... Why change it? Does it become contaminated? What is the grade of tranny oil determined by?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in