Mercruiser engine from VW - Parts availability - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zanshin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Mercruiser engine from VW - Parts availability

I have a VW 140-5 marinized engine aboard "Zanshin". This engine division was sold to Mercruiser and I have a serious engine issue and am absolutely stuck in getting information on spare parts and service.

I've tried a couple of dealers listed on Mercury's website for the northern east coast and the links are either dead or when I contact the dealers they say that they are no longer affiliated with Mercury.

I've contacted Mercury directly on their website (I had to fake the serial number, as my engine's serial number doesn't fit the normal Mercury number scheme) but they have yet to respond - according to them it will take 4 days before I should expect an answer.

At the moment it looks like I have a defective high-pressure injection pump and the only marine spare that seems to fit the description costs $5K (plus they require special tools to install it). The boat is being transported to Newport, RI and will be towed to a dock there in order to get the work done, but there seem to be no companies in that area who can do this work.

Does anyone here on the forum have experience with service for this engine or recommendations for the Newport, RI area?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Mercruiser engine from VW - Parts availability

Sorry, I can't help w/mechanics in RI, but if possible I'd like to see a pic of the engine.
Way back some production companies were installing VW car diesel engines in their bareboats and we had lots of problems with them. The worst problem was blowing the oil filter right off the engine if you started them at anything above dead idle. The only reason I'm mentioning this is that it could be possible this is a converted VW auto diesel and a parts search in auto might be more productive.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Capta,

it is a marinized engine that was used in Jettas and other VWs. I have already contacted a VW auto parts company and sent them pictures, but the ID plate that is found on the pumps when used in cars is missing on this engine's pump and all I could give them was a picture of the punched identification number, which I believe isn't going to help them much.

I did get the Mercruiser part number and have a copy of the engine's shop manual with the exploded diagram of the fuel pump, see https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...mbly/15934/170 (the part number is 8M0067020).

I'm going to look for VW car shop which might be able to help me further.

post #4 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Capta,

it is a marinized engine that was used in Jettas and other VWs.
I'm going to look for VW car shop which might be able to help me further.
Try wrecking yards as well.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Wrecking yards won't help me identify the part, but perhaps to find a replacement once the part is identified. I've reached out to a VW TDI forum and the members there are looking into whether they can identify the Bosch pump number. Once that is done I'll have the whole internet to find a rebuilt or new replacement. Right now the 5 models to which the search has been reduced to have a range from $300 to $1200 for refurbished and new ones - much better than the Mercury/Mercruiser pricing!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in