SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   looking for advice (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/330068-looking-advice.html)

bob58523 06-13-2019 01:18 PM

looking for advice

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to sailing. I purchased an 1974 islander 30 last year and began my sailing journey. After the winter (sat on trailer) I put the boat back into the water and the yanmar 8hp diesel engine isn't cooperating. I did get it to start but does not run long, and blows what looks like oil from the exhaust. I did make sure all the water was drained before winter. Because of this, I was also wondering about the possibility of putting an outboard motor on her if the inboard is shot.

Thanks,
Bob

Minnewaska 06-13-2019 07:42 PM

Re: looking for advice

Would need more info to offer ideas. Oil in the exhaust usually creates blue-ish smoke. If you're seeing pure product, something is very wrong.

Perhaps you're just seeing a sheen on the water, below the exhaust. That could be unburned diesel.

RegisteredUser 06-13-2019 07:53 PM

A 1 lunger 8hp is small for that boat...ysm, qm, etc
Find a real motor guy to look at it.
Assume nothing....get facts

bob58523 06-13-2019 08:36 PM

Hello again,

It seemed to be oil coming out of the exhaust... this is why I was wondering about the possibility of putting an outboard motor on the boat...

Thanks

capta 06-14-2019 03:38 AM

In the long run, if you don't want the value the boat to fall to the point you may have to give it away, bite the bullet and rebuild the diesel. It would be a great learning experience and it could even be fun.
There is no plus in adding a gas outboard to a 30 foot boat you actually intend to use in any but the fairest weather.

MarkofSeaLife 06-14-2019 06:44 AM

Rebuild the engine?

On a 1974 30 footer?

The boat is worth pocket change, isn't it? USD$5,000??

What a small outboard on it and enjoy the boat! Then give it away or sell it for $1,000.

Big point is to enjoy it. :grin

Minnewaska 06-14-2019 08:10 AM

I hate to think that draining all the water from a diesel, for the winter, is hard to do. Folks generally run anti-freeze through their engine, because there can be dips and low spots that don't drain. I was considering whether you might be seeing anti-freeze purging. I hope water didn't freeze over the winter and crack the block, which could permit oil into the exhaust.

It's a pretty dramatic situation, so I hope that's not it. If you're new to this, have you considered having a diesel mechanic take a look? As a general rule, diesels like to run and often have pretty simple problems, when they don't. Hope that's the case for you.

If the diesel is toast, it could cost more than the boat to repair. If so, I'd be inclined to start over soon, before throwing more money at it. It would unfortunately be worth less than zero, so every time you need to spend money on it (and you will), the pain will increase.

If you could provide more detail or pics, perhaps we could collectively provide more ideas to check.

outbound 06-14-2019 08:49 AM

Could just be a head gasket or something else easy to fix. Would get a good wrench to take a look at it and then decide what to do.

JimsCAL 06-14-2019 09:00 AM

My fear is that you didn't winterize properly and now have major engine damage. Get a mechanic to look at it and find out for sure. One plus is that a small engine like that is easy to pull and take to a shop for a rebuild.

PhilCarlson 06-14-2019 09:40 AM

As others have said; get a professional opinion on the engine. It may be a reasonable DIY project, or something worse. Point is that without that info, you really can't make a good decision on the outboard. And you are much better off with the inboard.

As for the outboard option:

What kind of sailing will you do with this boat, and where? Will you have to fight current? Any chance of getting caught in a blow where you'll need to motor against weather and wave action?

The outboard won't let you maneuver like the inboard; no prop wash over the rudder, no prop walk, which would matter in a tight space, or sub-optimal docking conditions.

You'll need a long enough shaft to keep the prop in the water in rough weather (if that's a thing in your sailing are). Looking at the transom on an islander, it looks like it may be mounted in a difficult to reach place, so remote start and throttle controls? Where will the gas tank go? If below deck, you'll need a blower.

Your outboard option could end up costing as much as fixing the engine.